Phoenix Knitting Forums

A friendly knitting and crafting community

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Knitting needles on planes?!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:51 am 

I'm going to NY in February with a group of friends to celebrate my sister's 30th birthday. I'm knitting a blanket on circular needles and they are rosewood, so no metal and obviously not long. Does anyone know whether knitting needles are allowed on planes or not? I've searched British Airway's site to try and find an answer but as I predicted it came back with no results!

Post subject: Re: Knitting needles on planes?!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 am 
Global Moderator

Usually, airlines and airports say 'no knitting needles' without making the distinction between straights and circs, but considering the fact you could strangle someone with a circular one, I suspect no is no in all cases here. It also depends on the airport or even the security guard, but if you fly with your knitting, do keep in my mind that they could confisquate your needles at all times, so don't leave the blanket on the circ when you're going through security: they might pull the needle out or take the whole project. Better to put a lifeline in.

That said, if the rules aren't clear about wooden circs, you aren't exactly violating those rules. I'm not sure if rosewood will show up when they put your bag through the machine (they scan for metal, don't they?) but they can still search your bag, of course. Better call them and ask, I think. Safe and sorry and all that.

I took my bamboo sock needles with me on the plane to Berlin, wrapped in between pencils and pens in my pencil case, and they didn't find them, but then during the flight I didn't dare to take them out and knit - it was my first flight ever and was too scared to do anything but hoping for it to be over soon. :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:37 pm 

I flew to Spain a couple of weeks ago and sat on the plane and knitted during the entire flight - I was knitting a sock on my bamboo dpns. Nobody was bothered at all. I had the pointed ends covered in my hand luggage.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:13 pm 
Supporter

I have knitted on a couple of flights but always take my knitting off the needles before getting on and off the plane. I use circs or a pair of hair sticks made from some broken 4mm bamboo straights - I just chopped the other needle to the same length & stuck some big beads on the ends - they are great for both purposes! No one batted an eye last time but the first time I tried it, the air stewardess chatted to me for ages about what I was making (baby cardi) so I dont think they are too bothered. I also crocheted a sunhat on the way to Rhodes in the summer with no problems.

One good tip is to take some dental floss with you. I use it to thread the stitches onto at either end of the journey & you can use the cutter instead of scissors.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 pm 

I just phoned Ryanair's customer service department to ask if I could take plastic knitting needles on a flight. The guy who answered the phone had to go and check, but told me that they could only go in the hold. :(
I'm only going to Ireland for the weekend and not taking any checked in luggage :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 pm 

Has anyone carried bamboo knitting kneedles in their hand luggage on a plane recently with Ryan air?

If so did you protect the ends?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm 

I'm sorry to throw this up again, but the official site SAYS YES!!!!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_176922

This is the GOVERNMENTS OWN WEBSITE SO PRINT IT OFF AND TAKE IT WITH YOU FOR SUPPORT.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 am 
Founder

Taken from that same website

Quote:
Contact your airline for advice

Airport security staff may confiscate anything they consider dangerous - even if the lists below say the item is allowed in your luggage. Contact your airline or departure airport if you have any questions

Basically it is up to the staff. It's not so much for your convenience but for the feelings of the other passengers. If wielding two sharpened pieces of wood is likely to cause distress (and remember vampires are people too) then they have the right to take them off you.

If you take a minute to think about it, we are carrying quite an arsenal in our knitting bags. :ninja: ninja knitters to the rescue!!! :ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 am 
Global Moderator

And it can very much depend on the airport, too. I've heard Schiphol-Amsterdam can be very strict (and not just regarding needles).

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 am 

I thought that ryan air were quite strict on taking them off people but could be wrong. It also varies on where you are flying - I don't fly any more due to having a profoundly disabled child, but before kids I used to go to the states with work where flying was treated in much the same way as we regard getting on a train - hence they tend to be a lot more relaxed in what they allow on.

I'd probably put your work on some cheap needles that you don't mind losing and put a lifeline in - hopefully it will be fine, but if not at least your work is safe.

Profile Personal album