Phoenix Knitting Forums

A friendly knitting and crafting community

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do you cast on Rico Pompon wool
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:22 pm 

I had a customer in the shop today who really wanted to knit with Pom Pom - she has not managed to knit anything else - so I cast her on - did the first few rows and watched her. She was so excited and was very sad when she had to go and pick her son up from pre-school..... received a text later to say "I am addicted to knitting POM POM!!!!!"

She chose the bright red one which will look fab with her black coat. I expect to be helping her cast off in a matter of days....

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:31 pm 

Hi there, I've found the easiet way to cast on is to tie a slip knot behind the first pompon and then use 3.5mm needles and the two needle method to cast on around the pompon's if you knit over a pompon you know it's not right as it all goes wonky! Just think of it as DK wool and knit round the pompons - casting off - if you don't mind it being a bit tight use th traditional method - alternatively just use a needle and thread through your stitches tightening as you go! Hope my methods help you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 pm 

I used a slip knot over the thumb type cast on and then for casting off I did ONE stitch between the pompoms not two as you do for the cast on. This gives you double the bobbles on cast off compared to cast on but it keeps it stretchy. I did my cushion in one evening and am now waiting to pop into the shop to get some black to do a scarf or two 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm 

I have just bought some Rico pompom wool and have cast on 12 stitches like it says on the instructions - however it only makes a scarf about 5" wide. Is this right, or should I cast on more stitches???
I am a newcomer to knitting (learnt to knit as a child) and have decided to start with something easy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:16 pm 

Mine is about 13cms so yes that is about right

It is so long that you can wrap it round a few times and it is warm so I think 12 stitches is fine.

I cast one on today as it is easy knitting that I can do whilst visiting my mum and my tension is not a worry!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm 

Thanks for your reply. It was just that the picture on the sleeve of the wool shows a bigger scarf with only six pompons - the picture is probably not for the same wool?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm 

Can`t help with the casting on I`m afraid as having looked at the Pom Pom yarn I can`t imagine how you can do anything with it. :roll:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:45 am 
Supporter

It's the casting off that is causing me problems! I have done it using a different yarn but does anyone know of an easier way?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 am 

Casting on you put two stitches between each ball and off you only do one...so you will have more pompoms on the cast off edge but it will be stretchy enough to match. The picture on the sleeve is deceiving but it is the same yarn, but I reckon that they may have used a few more cast on stitches...that is the reason I changed it to a cushion and cast on about 20-25 IIRC.
Try it with a few more than specified as the finished scarf comes in REALLY long and so you do have a bit to play with

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 am 

I have made a few scarves after discovering this yarn. Casting on was a bit tough to start but I find I make a slip knot for first stitch then just create stitches in something similar to thumb (but don't bother with your thumb!) literally make a loop and slip it backwards onto your needle. I use two stitches between each pompom. A full ball of Rico will make a very long 12st scarf but I have also done two scarves per ball using 10sts at about 4 feet in length. I have since bought another similar yarn called Grundl spirit - smaller balls but also shorter strands between pompom - the suggestion is to use just one stitch but this make a very loose finish so I went for smaller pins and 2 sts. Needed to use four balls to achieve a scarf shorter than a full ball of Rico but the colours are lovely. Casting off - I leave a length with about 6 pompom and weave thes through the stitchs with a knot at last st. - this gives a more even finish without too much stretch or tightness

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next