Phoenix Knitting Forums

A friendly knitting and crafting community

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cornwall Yarn Shop + pics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:02 pm 

Just thought I'd share this on here for any Devon/Cornwall people - I went into the new LYS in Launceston for a quick look this morning, and it's definitely well worth a visit! It has improved my opinion of Launceston considerably!!

The lady that owns it is becsclayton on Ravelry, and she seems very helpful, answered my silly questions and I even heard her mention Rav to another customer! It's only a little shop, but there's a big kitchen table in the middle with chairs around it and lots of knitting books on it, and a sofa too. The yarn is nicely displayed and organised with decent lighting (something that doesn't happen in some shops!), and I was really surprised to see she had Knitpicks needles for sale (I've never seen them in a shop before!!) plus lots of other bits and bobs including handmade stitch markers and buttons, knitty mugs, Brittany birch needles etc. I thought the yarn selection was pretty good for the space, I finally got to see Noro and Malabrigo (I think!) in the flesh so to speak, and there were the regulars like Rowan and Debbie Bliss etc. Not much acrylic/cheapo yarn but there is another shop in Launceston that sells that kind of thing anyhow... Also saw some lovely Namaste knitting bags in there which made me wish I had a bigger bank balance :lol: She also runs workshops and a knitting club apparently, though the website is still under construction so I think you'd have to check that on the phone.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised, and hope she continues to be successful because there's a real need for decent LYSs in my area! I don't know how many of 'us' are down in the South West, but thought I should give it a write up because if nothing else I'm sure people will come down here on holiday and need a bit of wool-therapy ;)

PS and I just found out that DoveGreyReader went and took pictures for anyone who wants a peek!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Cornwall Yarn Shop + pics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:43 pm 

OMG, Vonnie is soooo excited to hear about this. :party: :mexicanwave: Although for some strange reason my DH isn`t. LOL :lol:
I only live about 10 miles from Launceston so will check it out next time we go in.
Thanks for telling us about it, and for the links too. :smile:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 pm 

Vonnie wrote:
OMG, Vonnie is soooo excited to hear about this. :party: :mexicanwave: Although for some strange reason my DH isn`t. LOL :lol:
I only live about 10 miles from Launceston so will check it out next time we go in.
Thanks for telling us about it, and for the links too. :smile:

Yay, glad there's someone in driving distance! I did think of you Vonnie when I wrote this but I wasn't sure where in Cornwall you live - it's a long way from one end to the other :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 pm 
Supporter

Thanks for letting us know. Mr JK and I are spending a week in Cornwall in May, so I need to know about such things!!! :lol:
josiekitten

OTN: Socks, scarves and a blankie!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 pm 

josiekitten wrote:
Thanks for letting us know. Mr JK and I are spending a week in Cornwall in May, so I need to know about such things!!! :lol:
josiekitten

What part of our beautiful county are you going to?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:01 pm 
Supporter

We are staying in a cottage just outside Wadebridge, but will travel all over. It's a bit of a memory trip for me, as we always went to Cornwall on holiday when I was a child, and I've not been back for over 30 years! We used to stay in a village called St Mabyn, and our favourite beach was Daymer Bay. I was showing Mr JK some of our old holiday photos last week. I can't wait to see the county again. I loved it so much, I always cried on the journey back home!!
josiekitten

OTN: Socks, scarves and a blankie!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 pm 

josiekitten wrote:
I've not been back for over 30 years!

:o well Cornwall is lovely but I bet it'll be changed a bit since then, I'm already moaning about fields turning into houses and I'm 26 (but with strong Grumpy Old Woman tendencies at times) :lol: Still, if you're prepared to go off the beaten track a bit there are some amazing places where you'd think time had stood still :) Hope you have a lovely trip down memory lane!

So Vonnie what bit are you from, I'm all curious now? I'm actually from just 'over the border' in Devon but frequently head into to Bude and Launceston.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 am 

studentka wrote:
josiekitten wrote:
I've not been back for over 30 years!

:o well Cornwall is lovely but I bet it'll be changed a bit since then, I'm already moaning about fields turning into houses and I'm 26 (but with strong Grumpy Old Woman tendencies at times) :lol: Still, if you're prepared to go off the beaten track a bit there are some amazing places where you'd think time had stood still :) Hope you have a lovely trip down memory lane!

So Vonnie what bit are you from, I'm all curious now? I'm actually from just 'over the border' in Devon but frequently head into to Bude and Launceston.

We live in Callington so aren`t all that far from "the border". lol
I am really a Devon girl as I was born in Flete House Ermington (when it was a maternity hospital) hundreds of years ago.lol :lol:
We go to Bude quite a lot. We love it there as we can take our little doggy on the beach. :smile:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:14 pm 

Vonnie wrote:
I am really a Devon girl as I was born in Flete House Ermington (when it was a maternity hospital) hundreds of years ago.lol :lol:
We go to Bude quite a lot. We love it there as we can take our little doggy on the beach. :smile:

Ooh not too far from Launc then! Agree re Bude, there are some lovely beaches and lots of dog-friendly spots - I went for a walk there last week end and ended up making friends with several friendly but rather wet pooches! Got a feeling Flete House is sheltered housing now isn't it? My dad's family are from that part of the world, he went to Loddiswell Primary back in the day and still has a lot of relatives down there! Small world...

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 am 

studentka wrote:
Vonnie wrote:

Ooh not too far from Launc then! Agree re Bude, there are some lovely beaches and lots of dog-friendly spots - I went for a walk there last week end and ended up making friends with several friendly but rather wet pooches! Got a feeling Flete House is sheltered housing now isn't it? My dad's family are from that part of the world, he went to Loddiswell Primary back in the day and still has a lot of relatives down there! Small world...

When I was researching my Dad`s side of the family tree, most of his relations were from Loddiswell. Like you said "small world". :smile:

Profile Personal album