Phoenix Knitting Forums

A friendly knitting and crafting community

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "most popular" patterns on ravelry...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:33 pm 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/popular

Have you knitted them, faved them, queued them? and what do you think about knitting popular patterns - an indication of herd mentality? if everyone likes them they might be onto something? knit what you like and never mind if it's popular or not?

There are quite a few on there that are in my queue, and I didn't realise they were so popular. I've just finished a clapotis and that was what prompted me to look at the most popular patterns - it seems like Fetchings are just slightly more popular, with about 14500 projects to the 14000 and something that clapotis has.

I can see some knitty patterns, and some that the Yarn Harlot has designed or mentioned, but otherwise, how do these patterns get so well known?

Just wondering, y'know... :smile:

Post subject: Re: "most popular" patterns on ravelry...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:41 pm 

Just looked at the link to see what is popular and some surprise me! however, there are a few on there that I would like to have a go at and its nice to see a variety of things because there is so much on Ravelry that I could spend hours just looking and I would prefer to be knitting. Also I already have a load of things queued from magazines and books I already have.

However - I DO like the look of the French press slippers. I have never felted anything (on purpose!) and I see it says that a top loader is recommended and that a front loader is not reliable. Sob .......! I have some Noro yarn left over from a previous project and I think it would make a superb pair of slippers. Has anyone else tried them if they are this popular?

edited to say that as I am not a popular shape it is not often that popular things look good on me so I knit what I like! :shock:

Last edited by chris23005 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

I think some of its a case of one person knitting and friends thinking 'oh that looks good' and casting on, if its a well known knitting blogger doing that then much more people will want to knit it.
Also accessories will look good on most people so are likely to apeal to a wider range of folks

I've knit some of the popular designs, others are queued but some I would not bother with at all.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm 
Global Moderator

Some have become real classics, such as Fetching, Monkey and Swallowtail. I think part of the appeal is the fact that some of those are free; it's easier to print those out and give the pattern a go.

If they are popular, they come up first in a search - when I wanted to do a headband, Calorimetry was one of the first hits, so that was easy - and more people make them, so they end up coming first.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 pm 

ContinentalCat wrote:
Some have become real classics, such as Fetching, Monkey and Swallowtail. I think part of the appeal is the fact that some of those are free; it's easier to print those out and give the pattern a go.

If they are popular, they come up first in a search - when I wanted to do a headband, Calorimetry was one of the first hits, so that was easy - and more people make them, so they end up coming first.

I agree - if a pattern is free you can download immediately, try it out, and if it doesn't work then no money wasted. Interestingly the slippers pattern that I like the look of is one that you pay for but funds go to Haiti. Another popular "cause" so that could be why the pattern is popular too.

I tend to do my own thing, and maybe some look at the list like they do with the list of popular boys and girls names - last year my daughter scanned the popular names to ensure that she didn't call her new baby by one of them as she didn't want him to end up being in the same class as seven other boys with the same name - like me - I was one of five Christines!!! if you want to stand out in the crowd, then don;t knit something popular! Personally, I am just happy if it fits! :oops:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:09 pm 

I'm not too worried about bumping into another knitter wearing a 'popular pattern' up here as most of the women at my knitting groups have never heard of knitty or Ravelry. I know of one other local knitter who is on Ravelry but she knits socks mainly.
When I've been away for the weekend with other knitters its been great to play 'spot the pattern' and I have come away wanting to knit something beacuse I have seen it it real life.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:39 pm 

I haven't really got to grips with Ravelry yet so it's useful to follow links like yours to see what options are available. I haven't tried to put patterns in favourite or queues :oops:
I would imagine that the most popular patterns are self fulfilling - people see how many projects are being done and think that the end result must be worth a try. Patterns with only a few followers may not be thought to be as successful - but I may be wrong :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:19 pm 

I'm not surprised I love my Calorimetry was one of the first things i knitted :) I haven't done fetching but have done dashing

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:12 pm 

It's probably a combination of factors. Knitty patterns do tend to be relatively popular: before Ravelry came along, if I wanted to knit eg some fingerless gloves, I'd check there for patterns early on - it was just easier then trying to make up my own pattern. That's why I kniutted Knucks (#86) and Fetching (#1).

I knitted Baktus (#19) because someone here had knitted one, and it suited my needs: a simpke pattern to knit when I was with ILs. That's a varient of "popular blog" - once you see one or two people doing it, you decide to make it yourself.

I want to knit the Baby Surprise Jacket (#2) because so many people think its an interesting pattern. However it was popular before Ravelry came along, because the designer is a long established designer in the US. And it is quite an old pattern, so there have been decades of people knitting it.

The only one I did just because it was popular was Clapotis (#6). Seeing as so many people liked it on blogs (this was before Ravelry), I thought there must be something interesting to it. I didn't actually enjoy it as much as I thought it would - it's too like stocking stitch to be interesting to knit in its own right, but needs too much concentration to knit whilst concentrating on something else.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 pm 

Nothing in the list strikes me as 'Wow, got to knit that!' I tend to look for something that I've got in mind to knit anyway and see if there are any nice patterns to match my idea of what I want.