Christmas ideas 2009

Have you got any great patterns for Christmas presents? Quick Mother's Day gifts or birthday treats? Or are you looking for inspiration?
chris23005

Re: Christmas ideas 2009

Postby chris23005 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 am

Just found the swallowtail shawl and the bags on ravelry. They are all really good ideas - I love the shape of the brea bag, and the shawl is exquisite! It says it uses 2ply though - if I use 4 ply do I need to change my needle size as well?

Just remembered I have some bag handles which came free with a magazine so looks like a bag will be a project. Has anyone here made a felted bag? I keep wanting to have a go but am worried that I will have gone to all the trouble of knitting and then ruin it at the felting stage.

Tricotine
Supporter

Postby Tricotine » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 am

knittingnanny wrote:If you can cable the brea bag and viking bag are both quite straightforward. (both are on Rav)

Your Viking bag is gorgeous!

I like making little keyring as gifts too:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... -mini-sock
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... r-ornament
http://www.pinkargyle.com/mini-mitten-ornaments.html

knittingnanny

Postby knittingnanny » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am

Thank you for your lovely comments

I'm definitely going to make one for myself, and have just found somewhere to buy handles at a reasonable price (Thank you Shirley)

Chris - I can't access Ravelry from work, so can't tell you what size needles I used. You can really use any yarn, just swatch on different needles to see what effect you like. You can also do more repeats of the budding lace pattern to make it bigger.
This blue 4ply one was just a cover up for MIL to pop over her shoulders if she's sitting outside, and is soft and drapey, but not too holey. The other 2 are laceweight, and feel like butterfly wings, they're more "dressy" than warm.

Linda
Trying to get back on the stashalong!!
23 items finished in 2009

joannecliffe
Supporter

Postby joannecliffe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 am

I made knitted/felted slippers for the family last year which went down quite well, I think they averaged out at around £5 per pair and I put crotcheted felted flowers on the ladies ones, I've had requests for socks and scarves this year
only dull women have immaculate houses

Alison h

Postby Alison h » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I made some fingerless gloves for my older sis and now all the ladies in and around my family want a pair.

Luckily they are quick in DK. I sort of made up my own pattern which I will post sometime soon!!!
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up

chris23005

Postby chris23005 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:35 pm

You have given me an idea about fingerless gloves! I have seen several patterns in magazines lately for these but am not sure how difficult they are to do bearing in mind that I have struggled with socks. I am guessing that as you don't have to turn a heel they would be easier right?

My brother and his partner are doing the "Good Life" thing and most of their garden is turned over to veggies and they have just acquired two ducks. As I am currently unemployed and about to move house, this Christmas is going to be a bit more frugal than usual. So I thought about knitting each of them a pair of fingerless gloves (would have liked socks, but lets be realistic!) and a few packets of interesting veggie seeds (wrapped up in a newspaper cracker of course so that they have to shout "BANG" when they pull it"!!)

I can use up some of my stash - have some lovely Noro left over from a project - so all I need is a nice easy pattern. I can hunt out a pattern, no problem, but just how easy are they to do?

Traxia

Postby Traxia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

depends on how complicated you want to make them

The easiest ones are just a rectangle folded in half with a gap left in the sewing up for a thumb.

Otherwise there's the ones with finger and thumb stubs which make them harder.
The Black Hole of Time :rant:s and :hug:s on demand

chris23005

Postby chris23005 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Hmmmm, from the patterns I have seen so far, they have all been knitted in the round like a sock. There is just a "half a thumb", but the knitting goes straight across the knuckles, like a mitten rather than fingers with the ends missing. Think I will have to hunt out a few patterns on Ravelry and do some bedtime reading (hates reading patterns, wants to knit!)

beaderselbow

Postby beaderselbow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

I have just made the wristwarmers on the Sirdar Crofter leaflet they were amazingly quick and looked fantastic.

josiekitten
Supporter

Postby josiekitten » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 am

I've just made a pair of fetchings (in gallery). They are knitted in the round and the thumb is added afterwards - it's quite clever! They were quick and easy to do.
josiekitten
The Woolly Adventures of a Knitting Kitty

OTN: Socks, scarves and a blankie!

Return to “Gift Knits”