Learning to crochet

Crochet related questions
dollylover

Re: Learning to crochet

Postby dollylover » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm

:?: What's wrong with the nickel ones???
I know the Americans use the covered hooks, I think they must be great for long stints of crocheting or for those like me with bad hands, I haven't seen them here, but one lady said she put pencil covers over hers, no idea what they are either. :?
Took bags of wool to charity shops, Now I only have what I'm using. :)

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Wed May 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm allergic to nickel

perigeri

Postby perigeri » Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I use the bamboo ones as well as my knitting needles....I know one of the ladies previous said she didnt like bamboo cos she felt they caught , once they are `worn` in they feel lovely , mine did ... and I use them because of my arthritic hands and their so much kinder .... and my friend also bought me a leaving gift of corchet hooks and i didnt realise what they were ...Clover hooks in a pretty little pink striped wrap too
Geri

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I love the bamboo ones, I have bamboo Tunisian crochet hook, there wonderful to work with.

I'm sorry Dominey, fortunately there are other options. :hug:

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 pm

All my hooks arrived today :clap: so I've started a scarf, nothing much to start with just something that'll fit under my coat which has a lowish neckline.

I've not used the Clover Amour yet, just the Knit Pro. Its nice to hold but I think a shaped handle would be better, the thing I don't like is they've come with a bright gold metal part :o and it looks so cheap, also where the metal joins the handle is a bit rough. I don't think they're up to the standard of the knitting needles. Another thing, I think the hook is a bit on the shallow side, but saying that I've got on much quicker and easier than with the plastic one.

I've given up trying to use my left hand for tension and am just concentrating on my right hand. But after a couple of hours crocheting today, the arthritis in my hands is quite bad and I've got a pain in my neck. I think I'll have to take it a bit slower tomorrow.

dollylover

Postby dollylover » Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 am

Deakin do you have a link of the hooks you now have??

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 am

I bought the Knit Pro from Sanday Spinners, they were the cheapest I could find http://www.sandayspinners.co.uk/product ... het-hooks/ They also seem to be a bit cheaper for knitting needles, but don't have the right Nova Metals I use in either straights or DPNs. But I found them a bargain. I ordered on 17th and they arrived on 22nd, so not too bad for 2nd class.

The Clover amour, I got through Amazon from Pebbles Gems, ordered on 18th it also arrived on 22nd http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-CL1047-A ... m_sbs_kh_6

Billie

Postby Billie » Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Getting on with the principle of crochet, thanks to the DVD but had to rest my hands as now have cramps in RSI in left and right palms.

I have trouble getting thumb to connect with fingers so asking them to do so repeatedly gets me into trouble. I know better than pushing on, should have listened to the pain earlier. Have had cramp and little use of my hands all week now. HAve to rest as the littlest thing sets them back to square one. DOH.

As for pencil grippers on hooks, have seen people use what look like jelly like slide on grippers on hooks. Straight ones are ok if you can get them but don't use the shaped kind for writing as they put your fingers in a perfect angle for writing but not for 'hooking'. Tried it, didn't work. There are some thin foam grippers on Amazon
Comfort grip
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

I've just finished my first Granny square, it was soooo easy, I really enjoyed doing it. I think I'll have to struggle on with the scarf, but if I only get a couple of rows done each day, it will grow. Image

Billie

Postby Billie » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Fabulous, isn't it a great way to use up scraps of yarn you can't bear to throw away.

Why not make a granny square scarf? Make a whole bunch of squares and join them in a strip?

Will post my square on Rav ;)
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

Return to “Crochet”