I'm learning to crochet

Crochet related questions
Buddys mum

I'm learning to crochet

Postby Buddys mum » Thu May 15, 2014 12:18 am

Not doing very well but think thats partly due to my vision, or rather lack of vision. Long story. Seem to do better with knitting provided I use chunky wool. Crochet though, I need a lot of practice. Any tips would be appreciated. Not even learnt to make a stitch yet as the wool keeps coming off the crochery hook.

Sunhat lady

Re: I'm learning to crochet

Postby Sunhat lady » Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Buddy's mum. If you're right handed, the first tip I'd give you, is to hold the yarn firmly in your left hand. This is probably why the wool keeps slipping off the hook. I'm no expert, so there are others on here who will be of more help.

Buddys mum

Postby Buddys mum » Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 am

Sunhat lady wrote:Hi Buddy's mum. If you're right handed, the first tip I'd give you, is to hold the yarn firmly in your left hand. This is probably why the wool keeps slipping off the hook. I'm no expert, so there are others on here who will be of more help.

I'm left handed.

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu May 15, 2014 5:12 pm

I'd try an Aran weight yarn rather than a chunky weight, I find the thicker yarns are harder to control. And as your sight is already a problem you're probably already aware that using a lighter colour will be easier to see.
Is your hook the right size for your yarn generally speaking choose 0.5mm smaller than the recommended knitting needle size, so if your yarn suggests a 6mm knitting needle go for a 5.5 mm hook.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Buddys mum

Postby Buddys mum » Thu May 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Joy wrote:I'd try an Aran weight yarn rather than a chunky weight, I find the thicker yarns are harder to control. And as your sight is already a problem you're probably already aware that using a lighter colour will be easier to see.
Is your hook the right size for your yarn generally speaking choose 0.5mm smaller than the recommended knitting needle size, so if your yarn suggests a 6mm knitting needle go for a 5.5 mm hook.

I got a big chunky hook for the chunky wool as I can see chunky wool a lot better. In my case I find lighter colours harder to see against the hook. For example my crochery hook is grey if I were to use say a very light blue it may as well be invisible. Visual impairment again. My vision is difficult to explain. It's tunnels and they are blurry thats my left eye and the right eye is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I have 2 meters blurred tunnel vision in the left eye.

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 pm

I hadn't thought about the light yarn against the grey hook and re reading what I wrote I hope it didn't come over as arrogant. A lot of people find it hard to see the stitch definition when using dark yarn. It surprising how many people don't consider the suitability of their yarn for their learning projects and choose fluffy or bobbly yarn and can't understand why it's so difficult.
Hope you get going soon
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Buddys mum

Postby Buddys mum » Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Joy wrote:I hadn't thought about the light yarn against the grey hook and re reading what I wrote I hope it didn't come over as arrogant. A lot of people find it hard to see the stitch definition when using dark yarn. It surprising how many people don't consider the suitability of their yarn for their learning projects and choose fluffy or bobbly yarn and can't understand why it's so difficult.
Hope you get going soon

No it didn't come across as arrogant. I've already learnt how to cast on so think with time I 'll get the hang of crochet. If you look through a straw or toilet roll tube thats basically what I see. Got a blanket and a sofa throw on the go at the minute both just a knit pattern. Can do pearl too. Pearl is like knitting backwards isn 't it.

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Fri May 16, 2014 7:04 am

Have a look here to see if this helps you https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0C7E0C4386

Buddys mum

Postby Buddys mum » Fri May 16, 2014 10:12 am

Sunhat lady wrote:Have a look here to see if this helps you https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0C7E0C4386

Thank you, going to book mark that link.

Return to “Crochet”