Calling all experts!!

Crochet related questions
Sunhat lady

Calling all experts!!

Postby Sunhat lady » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm

I' m doing this pattern for a slouch hat . http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... slouch-hat Now I can do all the basic crochet sts, but apart from making squares and circles, I've never done anything else. The hat looks great with everything in the right place until I reach row 7, which is repeated numerous times. Somehow I'm gaining a stitch each time and it must be to do with the start of the round, as I can see my joining st moving over each time. Please help, as the hat is lovely otherwise!

Lottie

Re: Calling all experts!!

Postby Lottie » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Sunhat lady wrote:I' m doing this pattern for a slouch hat . http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... slouch-hat Now I can do all the basic crochet sts, but apart from making squares and circles, I've never done anything else. The hat looks great with everything in the right place until I reach row 7, which is repeated numerous times. Somehow I'm gaining a stitch each time and it must be to do with the start of the round, as I can see my joining st moving over each time. Please help, as the hat is lovely otherwise!

silly question but it looks like an American pattern so have you transposed it to english crochet?
Lottie

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:20 am

I've followed the pattern exactly as it is. I checked the stitches on youtube before starting. If I'm starting a row with 3 chain then doing a dc into the st before this chain, then I will be gaining a stitch each time I do this row, as this stitch isn't decreased anywhere in the round.

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 am

Crocheting in the round can be confusing at times. If you're not careful you can end up adding a stitch after you've joined up the round.

I tend then to count the stitches as I crochet around. Then before I start the chain up I count where I'm going to put the next rounds stitches to make sure I know where to start the first stitch of each round. You can after doing the last stitch of the round think eeek that's a big gap I must have to do another stitch but whatever you do don't be tempted. Just find the top stitch of your chain up and slip stitch into it and it pulls the round into it's proper shape.

You can still get that moving joining stitch but still have the correct amount of overall stitches. I've seen that happen before but when you count the stitches there's no extra stitches.

Some people do the joining slip stitch then turn their work and go around the other way almost like doing rows.

all the best

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks Aisles - it looks like it's back to the drawing board again, as I've taken this row loose 3 times now and I still have the extra stitch. I'll have to cheat like you say :lol:

Lottie

Postby Lottie » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Sunhat lady wrote:Thanks Aisles - it looks like it's back to the drawing board again, as I've taken this row loose 3 times now and I still have the extra stitch. I'll have to cheat like you say :lol:

for the life of me i can't see how this would work as you'd end up with 73 stitches every time!
Lottie

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:27 pm

That's what I'm getting Lottie. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the pattern now. As I said, I'm not used to following a crochet pattern so thought I must be doing something wrong.

Return to “Crochet”