My most useful Christmas present

Crochet related questions
Knit-wit

My most useful Christmas present

Postby Knit-wit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Many, many years ago I was given by my aunt a little round 'mat' about 3" across with very long handles, every year I bring out my little mat and pop it in the pan under the Christmas pudding so that I can lift the pudding out without scalding my hands. My aunt died in 1994 so it has lasted for more than twenty years, but every Christmas I thank her when I easily lift my pudding out of the hot water.

Margaret.

Aisles

Re: My most useful Christmas present

Postby Aisles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:00 pm

ohhhhhh I have was given something similar by my now belated lovely MiL

Mine was a wirer basket with chain handles that I pop into the pressure cooker with the pudding in. The chain handles sit on top of the pudding.

It has a hook to hook the hot metal chain handles so you can lift the hot pudding out of the pressure cooker.

It's an wonderfully useful little basket :mrgreen:

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:54 am

What a super idea and made extra special by the treasured memories it evokes. I might be tempted to concoct something along similar lines.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Knit-wit

Postby Knit-wit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 pm

These simple ideas are sometimes the best!

Joy, I don't know much about crochet but as far as I can tell it is just rounds of double crochet using dishcloth cotton done until it is the required size, the handle loops are just chain stitch, again as long/short as you require (they must be long enough to put on top of the pudding container while it is cooking), connected as near as possible to where the four corners would be if it were square - if that makes sense, if they were too close together the balance would be wrong when you remove the pudding. Although mine is now only used at Christmas it was given to me when we all seemed to eat those tins of Heinz? puddings or similar several times a week, so it did get a lot of use.

Margaret

darknit

Postby darknit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:46 am

Your description has given me ideas for simple gifts......thank you! We love steamed puddings in our house - both steak and kidney and syrup sponge so the steamer gets plenty of use. Although I tie a pudding cloth over the top of my puddings and then use a wooden spoon handle to lift them out.

Knit-wit

Postby Knit-wit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:23 pm

darknit wrote:Your description has given me ideas for simple gifts......thank you! We love steamed puddings in our house - both steak and kidney and syrup sponge so the steamer gets plenty of use. Although I tie a pudding cloth over the top of my puddings and then use a wooden spoon handle to lift them out.

I imagine that if you can crochet they would be quite quick to make, could be an idea for sale tables etc. though you might have to explain what they could be used for!! :smile:

Return to “Crochet”