Lace Knitting Tricks and Tips

For those addicted or just wanting to try Lace knitting.
Soo

Lace Knitting Tricks and Tips

Postby Soo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 am

Post your lace knitting tips here!

Here are a few to get us started.

:arrow: The first few rows often feel too loose and messy and .... persevere!

:arrow: Pointy needles are your friend! Pointy needles help enormously with lace knitting.

:arrow: Sometimes if the knitting feels 'uncomfortable' it is worth trying another pair of needles. The 'grippiness' of needles varies a lot (wood is generally grippier than metal), and even the colour of the needles can make a difference. It's much easier to see a light coloured yarn on dark rosewood needles -- and of course black yarn is easier to see on light coloured wood or metal.

:arrow: Try to learn to read your knitting. This allows you to find mistakes earlier and can make the knitting more intuitive, meaning you rely a little less on the chart or pattern. It is generally easier to read your knitting when the yarn is heavier, but you'll get better at it with experience.

:arrow: Blocking is magic. Don't despair if your project doesn't look like the pictures in the pattern book while you are knitting it. Blocking will transform your lace -- if you check out these pics on my blog you'll see what I mean.

sezo
Supporter

Re: Lace Knitting Tricks and Tips

Postby sezo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 pm

If you want to save your place inbetween repeats or when changing patterns.. thread thin yarn or dental floss through the stitches, so if the worst happens you can always rip back and pick the stitches up from the floss!

Nevisknitter

Postby Nevisknitter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:07 pm

If knitting from a chart . use a ruler to mark your row on the chart, its easy to work part of a wrong row.

Also photocopy the chart if possible and cross off each row as worked so you can remember where you are.

Ozzy Blackbeard
Supporter

Postby Ozzy Blackbeard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Here's some advice I found recently on Ravelry. I found it so useful, I saved it! Hope it's helpful to someone else. :D

HOW TO FIX LACE MISTAKES

Lifelines on each non patterned row work well for a beginner, then use them less as you get confident.

Too many stitches -often occur when an extra YO is included or I forget to do the psso on a double decrease. Ripping back is not necessary for either of these. Just read across your stitches and place a coiless safety pin (these can be removed anytime) at the spot where the incorrect YO or psso is. On the next row when you get to this spot, drop the YO off the needle. Nothing will run, and the surrounding stitches will absorb the extra yarn. Or just finish the psso when you get to that spot.

Short a stitch - look for a missing YO as you read the stitches. Mark this and correct on the next row by picking up the running thread between the stitches where the YO belongs, place it on the left needle in the correct position and knit or purl it.

Occasionally you will have to rip back but not nearly so often with these corrections.

pinkshoes
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby pinkshoes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 pm

The best lesson I learned when I picked up lace knitting again recently was stitch markers. Use them between each pattern set. I can't believe I'd never used them before :roll:
I have heard of housework, but I definitely don't like the sound of it
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/midhow
http://pinkshoesknits.wordpress.com/

pinkshoes
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby pinkshoes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh and the second best lesson is to get a metal board and magnetic strip thing - I already had one from cross stitch days. The board is about the size of your average pattern leaflet or book, and the strip is about 4" long x 1/2" - doesn't sound much but think about the size of a lace chart - it's more than plenty. Board goes under the page, magnetic strip moves up the chart. Fab.
I have heard of housework, but I definitely don't like the sound of it
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/midhow
http://pinkshoesknits.wordpress.com/

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 pm

In addition to the ruler tip: stick the (copy of the) pattern to a magnetic whiteboard. The ruler sticks, and you can make notes on the board if needed.

Keep counting out loud if that helps and don't think you're crazy for doing so. Don't combine this with watching tennis matches, programmes on math or other number related events.

If the pattern is really difficult: find a place where you won't be disturbed. Don't start a difficult section when the dog wants to be fed, children need attention or a husband needs you to hold a hammer.

Don't knit lace with a cat on your lap (been there, done that, paid the price when nail got caught in a yarn over).

Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Blackdog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:28 am

If you don't have a magnetic board use a Postit note which you can just move at will.

Put your marker above rather than below the row you are doing, this helps to find mistakes quickly as your eye can go down to the row you've just done & you can see if you are in the correct place within the pattern, presuming of course your previous row was correct. In this way you can pick up if your previous row was wrong of course.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

knittingnanny

Postby knittingnanny » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:25 am

I have 2 tips:

1. If it's a brand new pattern you're trying for the first time, it's sometimes easier to use some waste DK or 4ply to have a little practice on just to get the hang of the pattern.

2. If you start to feel tired, put the lace away and pick up another wip, maybe a plain sock? to last until bedtime. It is so so easy to make a mistake when you're tired - I've been tinking quite a lot recently. :oops:

Linda
Trying to get back on the stashalong!!
23 items finished in 2009

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 am

If you do lace in winter, you need a really good lamp, especially when working with finer yarns in darker colours.

Return to “Lace Knitting”