Sublime lace kit

For those addicted or just wanting to try Lace knitting.
Deakin1815

Sublime lace kit

Postby Deakin1815 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:30 pm

I've recently bought myself a new coat and remarked to a friend that because of the V neck, I'd need a to knit a nice fine scarf, and because of the colour of the coat, a nice light grey would be perfect. I was thinking DK or at a push 4 ply.

I've done quite a bit of knitting for her over the years and won't take payment for it, she does occasionally buy me some flowers or a nice plant but this morning she's brought me this kit from The Black Sheep http://www.blacksheepwools.com/jasmine- ... p-kit.html And she's also got me a lovely light grey http://www.blacksheepwools.com/sublime-lace.html I don't usually knit in lace but I thought I'd give it a try. Because I want a scarf and not a wrap, I'll knock one of the pattern repeats off but I'm wondering how to do the ends, its all stocking stitch at the edges and ends, with no rib at all, I think that's the beauty of the pattern, but I'm wondering how I can get the row ends to be neat.

The last lacy pattern I did was DK where the pattern said to slip the first stitch and purl the last on a knit row, and slip the first stitch knit wise and knit the last stitch on a purl row, I've tried this on the first few rows of this but it's left loose baggy stitches, so I've frogged it and come here for some advice. Please

Joy

Re: Sublime lace kit

Postby Joy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:44 pm

The link only shows a picture of the kit not the pattern as a whole, but if you don't like the slip and purled edges why don't you just knit or purl as 'normal' see how that works out.
Another thought as you are transposing shawl to scarf will your 'scarf' have enough edging on it to stop it curling, I think a garter stitch edge of 3 or 4 stitches holds its line reasonably.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

darknit

Postby darknit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes that's the one. Good idea to do a garter stitch edge, I've frogged my second attempt and will do the ends with a few rows as well. Thanks for help

Joy

Postby Joy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Ooh that's pretty, and it does seem to have a bit of a rolled edge.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm

That's lovely. It looks like very fine work.

Return to “Lace Knitting”