ircualr Knitting Needles

For those addicted or just wanting to try Lace knitting.
Iona1651

ircualr Knitting Needles

Postby Iona1651 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi all. Can anyone please tell me how long my circular needles need to be for lace knitting please before I order them? I think I'll need 60 cm but not 100% sure. Also, are bamboo better than metal? I have been looking at 'Addi' brand??

christina-1

Re: ircualr Knitting Needles

Postby christina-1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:07 am

Hello.

It would all depend on what you are knitting. For most of my lacework I have use a 60cm needle.
At the moment I am tackling a Niebling tablecloth and have bought 80cm (which I am using at the moment) and also 100cm because I am sure I will need that soon.

As for type of circular. I have the ChiaoGoo Red lace needles, I love using these as the points are so sharp but, my eyes cannot cope with the light reflecting off the tips - although I have just ordered some new spectacles with a glare tint on them :lol:

I have also used some bamboo from Fleegle (on Ravelry) and her Etsy shop is here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thegossamerweb. I found that my stitches were quite tight and would stick on the plastic tubey thing :lol: These were beautiful bamboos to knit with, I just need to loosen my tension.

I finally went back to my old pal KnitPro symphonies, these are rosewood (I believe) and have a nice point for lacework.

I do believe I also bought, with the intention of trying, an Addi circular, but never got around to trying this because, again, it has a silver finish and would reflect the light.

When my new anti-glare specs arrive, I will definitely be retrying the GhiaoGoo and Addi circulars. :lol:

I think it's just a case of try it and see.

Good luck and I hope you find a circular needle to suit you, it really is try it and see :lol:

Iona1651

Postby Iona1651 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi Christina

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have made a decision and ordered my very first pair of Knitpro needles, a straight pair and a 60cm circular cable and some interchangeable needle tips.

I have also ordered some Addi sock needles, 30cm total in 2.25 and 2.5cm.

I hope I don't suffer from 'glare' from them.

I hope you get your anti-glare glasses soon to sort out your problem!

Thanks once again,

Iona

christina-1

Postby christina-1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi Iona

Congratulations on your choice. I hope they serve you well for many years of knitting.

I will let you know how I get on with the anti-glare stuff. I believe also that my problem is just "older" eyes. When I'm knitting with cotton thread and 2.00mm needles, everything has a halo around it and I dare not drive the car after knitting :lol:

Have fun with your needles and do let me know how you get on with them ;)

scotgirl

Postby scotgirl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 pm

I love addi lace circular needles, although I don't knit lace :smile:
I usually buy the 60cm fixed lace needles as they are a good size for baby items and I prefer the sharp tips as I knit quite tightly, they are very smooth to knit with. I treated myself to bamboo tips and cables from addi too and although I like them I think I prefer the metal lace tips.
Knitpros are really good too, and lets face it, you can't have enough needles!

Return to “Lace Knitting”