From big hat to one that fits?

For when knitting an object is just not enough to complete a project. Post your felting experiences here.
Megrose
Supporter

From big hat to one that fits?

Postby Megrose » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:36 pm

I've finished my 'Easy Peasy Hat', but it's too big! :shock: I'm wondering whether to felt it to see if I can reduce the size. Will this work, do you think? Do I just put it in the washing machine on a hot wash? I've never felted anything before.

Traxia

Re: From big hat to one that fits?

Postby Traxia » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:47 pm

What's it made out of? Because all I know about felting is that it doesn't work with acrylic...
The Black Hole of Time :rant:s and :hug:s on demand

Megrose
Supporter

Postby Megrose » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Traxia. No, it's Lamb Pride Bulky - it's 85% wool and 15% mohair. So, I'm hoping it will work.

Bearium
Supporter

Postby Bearium » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 pm

lamb's pride bulky felts well from what I've read on Ravelry. Anyhow my advice is to take it slowly, throw it in at say 40 deg and see how much it felts. If it still needs some more, pop it in again :D

( You can just pop it in hotter and take your chances BUT you cannot unfelt it once it's done :? )
hth
Lucy
The Bearium Necessities blog, shop.

Megrose
Supporter

Postby Megrose » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks Lucy. Well, I've washed it at 40 degrees and it's felted slightly, but the size has remained the same. So, I guess I've got to go for it! I've got nothing to lose really, as I can't wear it as is. At least this has been a learning curve. It's my first hat and, although I measured my head, I hereby confess that I didn't do a proper swatch, just tried to measure stitches per inch from a previous piece of work - which was ribbed - using the same yarn. Lesson learned! :roll: So, here goes.

Kazzyknits

Postby Kazzyknits » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Megrose wrote:Thanks Lucy. Well, I've washed it at 40 degrees and it's felted slightly, but the size has remained the same. So, I guess I've got to go for it! I've got nothing to lose really, as I can't wear it as is. At least this has been a learning curve. It's my first hat and, although I measured my head, I hereby confess that I didn't do a proper swatch, just tried to measure stitches per inch from a previous piece of work - which was ribbed - using the same yarn. Lesson learned! :roll: So, here goes.

You will have to let us know know how it goes xxxxxxx

Lottie

Postby Lottie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Megrose wrote:Thanks Lucy. Well, I've washed it at 40 degrees and it's felted slightly, but the size has remained the same. So, I guess I've got to go for it! I've got nothing to lose really, as I can't wear it as is. At least this has been a learning curve. It's my first hat and, although I measured my head, I hereby confess that I didn't do a proper swatch, just tried to measure stitches per inch from a previous piece of work - which was ribbed - using the same yarn. Lesson learned! :roll: So, here goes.

if your putting it in on a 60 wash can you stop and drain it half way through to check it?
Lottie

Megrose
Supporter

Postby Megrose » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 am

It was a done deal before I read your post, Lottie! So, now the hat is felted beautifully, but may fit a very small child. :lol:

Oh well. It's not going to stop me knitting more hats, I'll just be more careful next time and knit a proper swatch before I begin. Thanks for your help, everybody.

Meejo
Supporter

Postby Meejo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 am

:lol: At least you've learnt all about the wonders of felting ;)

cfeery

Postby cfeery » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 am

Hi,

I am going to have my first attempt at felting - any easy patterns or advice?

Return to “Felting”