Felting cascade220 in a front loading machine? Slippers...

For when knitting an object is just not enough to complete a project. Post your felting experiences here.
geekygirl

Felting cascade220 in a front loading machine? Slippers...

Postby geekygirl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:26 pm

I loved this pattern http://frenchpressknits.blogspot.com/2009/10/parade-of-shoes.html when I first saw it and bought the pattern Friday, ordered the yarn Saturday and it got delivered today, which was brilliant. I knitted all the pices in 3 hours this evening, and just need to sew them together and felt them.

I've never felted something that needs to fit before, though I guess slippers will stretch a little if needed...

Has anyone any experience of felting Cascade 200 in a front loading machine? I'm a little nervous :oops:

jeanette

Re: Felting cascade220 in a front loading machine? Slippers...

Postby jeanette » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:47 pm

I did alpine boots in cascade 220 in a front loader and they came out really good. If I can find them I'll take a picture. Used eylas for the border

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... oots-ch-47

eta found a picture from ages ago

Jeanette

geekygirl

Postby geekygirl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 am

Apparenty a short wash at 90 degrees was too hot, and too drastic!

Going to try again with lower temperatures and probably longer time period to try and obtain slippers that are more evenly felted, and big enough to fit on my feet :oops:

jeanette

Postby jeanette » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:23 am

geekygirl wrote:Apparenty a short wash at 90 degrees was too hot, and too drastic!

Going to try again with lower temperatures and probably longer time period to try and obtain slippers that are more evenly felted, and big enough to fit on my feet :oops:

I did mine at 60° and just a standard wash if that helps

joannecliffe
Supporter

Postby joannecliffe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:43 pm

I have a qick 30 min 40 degree wash on my machine and use that for slippers, I do one cycle and if not felted/shrunk enough do a 2nd and so on til I get the desired fit, I used rowan big wool for my last pair and they took 2 cycles

excuse my little fat feet and legs!
only dull women have immaculate houses

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:03 pm

geekygirl wrote:I loved this pattern http://frenchpressknits.blogspot.com/2009/10/parade-of-shoes.html when I first saw it and bought the pattern Friday, ordered the yarn Saturday and it got delivered today, which was brilliant. I knitted all the pices in 3 hours this evening, and just need to sew them together and felt them.

I've never felted something that needs to fit before, though I guess slippers will stretch a little if needed...

Has anyone any experience of felting Cascade 200 in a front loading machine? I'm a little nervous :oops:

aren't they a fantastic design i also saw them a week or so ago and want to have a go but i'm still wearing my bev galakas felted clogs. don't be too alarmed if they come out of the machine smaller than you want, put them on your feet to stretch them back to shape - obviously there's only so much size you can get back, so i'd agree start gentle and refelt if necessary.
i bet i know what you'll be giving everyone for christmas presents this year, one pair and you'll be hooked.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

manda-r

Postby manda-r » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I love that pattern I think I need to get a copy, and some nice yarn.
Manda
Ravelry*projects
I am a recovering yarnaholic my blog

geekygirl

Postby geekygirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tips everybody.

Pair 2 are now knitted, and in the washing machine on a quick 40 degree wash, in a tied up pillow case. Fingers crossed this time goes better.

manda-r

Postby manda-r » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:05 pm

How did they turn out I am about to buy the pattern
Manda
Ravelry*projects
I am a recovering yarnaholic my blog

geekygirl

Postby geekygirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:33 pm

The second pair went through the wash 3 times. The felting is quite variable. Bits are great, other bits look half felted. Some holes appeared where I have apparently not sewn them quite right.

At the moment they have lived on my kitchen worktop for a couple of months while I decide what to do next. A freind has suggested trying to hand felt the bits that haven't felted so well. I'm feeling a little like I've spent far too much time on them to give up, adn a little like I've spent too much time to be bothered spending any more time on them!

Everyone elses on Ravelry seem to have turned out really well. :( Maybe it is just my machine :? . I'm tempted to make a third pair and try them in my BFs washing machine. :lol:

I have knitted my sister something else for christmas, and I don't really need slippers, so maybe time to give up. But they do knit up quickly and are so cute....

Return to “Felting”