Help I need white yarn that felts, in a hurry

For when knitting an object is just not enough to complete a project. Post your felting experiences here.
beaderselbow

Help I need white yarn that felts, in a hurry

Postby beaderselbow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Help I need some white, aran weight yarn, that felts. I am not sure which white yarn felts and I have no time to waste doing a swatch etc. One of my nearby shops is Texere but they are closed until Wednesday. A lovely friend of mine asked me to make him another pair of the Fiber Trends clogs as he had worn his others out. I asked if I could do this after christmas and he agreed. Sadly this morning he passed away, very suddenly, and his wife wants me to knit white ones for him to wear. Please don't think this is crazy as he was a very dear friend and I want to do this for both him and his wife. He loved to wear his slippers so she feels it is appropriate that he wears some for a last time. It really does need to be white though and not cream. Any ideas please. This is a genuine request not a crazy morbid woman.

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help I need white yarn that felts, in a hurry

Postby ContinentalCat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:45 am

:hug: So sorry to hear about your friend, that must have been a great shock.

I can't help you with the yarn (I only have some white angora that's too fluffy to felt, and it probably wouldn't be there on time anyway), but will keep my fingers crossed that someone can.

Woolygreyhound

Postby Woolygreyhound » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:11 am

So sorry for your loss, I have only felted by accident (wrong wash program) but i would think any yarn that is 100% wool and not superwash with enough aggitation would work.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

beaderselbow

Postby beaderselbow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks for your replies I was concerned that white wouldn't felt but maybe it does. Will probably have to check it out at Texere tomorrow.

Fluzz

Postby Fluzz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:40 pm

If you've got access to Texere, then I'm darn sure you'll find something.

I know they have white 4-ply and very likely have white aran weight. The higher the percentage of pure wool/new wool, the better it will felt. Just avoid anything that says superwash.

Just checked: Cygnet Grousemoor aran in white is available at Texere, it doesn't say content though so you'll need to check.

Otherwise your best bet is the cones of spun undyed stuff they do but that is cream rather than white.
My knitting blog / Me on Ravelry
Pet to human ratio in our house: 6:1

beaderselbow

Postby beaderselbow » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for that Texere it is, they are open tomorrow, they are only about 6 mile from us so local really.
It does need to be white but I can use a thinner wool and double it up etc as felting can be so flexible. I am knitting him the fiber trends clogs as he loved his others.

Return to “Felting”