Fair Isle Chart flat or round?

Fair isle, intarsia and anything else that features two or more colours.
minnipins48

Fair Isle Chart flat or round?

Postby minnipins48 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi,
I have not been on the forum for a while, been ill and lost the password. anyway
does anybody know how I can knit a fair isle jumper in the round, from a flat chart pattern
as I am , no good at the purl side. I have got all my wool in and ready, but do not fancy
knitting it flat. any ideas. appreciate any help. might have to frog and find another pattern.but all my colors of wool are ready to start this jumper. pattern.?
minnie :knitsock:

divadoll_1

Re: Fair Isle Chart flat or round?

Postby divadoll_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 pm

There are some good fairisle patterns like Ivy League that are knitted in the round and then steeked for necklines and arm holes so they may be able to help you. Try searching on Ravelry

phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phantomknitter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Authentic fairisle is always knit in the round - using grippy wool so it can be steeked where necessary (and even less grippy yarn can be used as long as you reinforce the seam with a sewing machine). For further ideas and guidance I recommend any books by Alice Starmore, but of course there are many others out there. Knitting stranded flat is really bothersome and I agree with you that it's best avoided. I bet your pattern could easily be converted to knitting in the round. Do you want to give some more details so we can work it out?

minnipins48

Postby minnipins48 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Sorry took so long to get back , ill again. :roll:

I ditched the fair isle flat pattern, too tricky, I am doing this one off ravelry

Winter Doldrums
by Carla Pletzer

Body done, and 1 sleeve on second sleeve coming up to yoke. only thing, it is a
cowl neck in pattern, I would like a crew neck , not sure if I can change it, might be too
difficult. to get right. I am not going to do the full yoke either, just the flower and edging
will do. I am knitting my main color in Raspberry . and doing the flower red. will post
pic when I am finished. hope you all can open the links.
Think I will have a go at this after it. have any of you done this.?
can any of you give me the charts for it, I only have a few.

'My Favourite Things' Infinity Scarf

by Jill McGee

thanks minnie :knit:

darknit

Postby darknit » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 pm

I really like Winter Doldrums - I have it stashed - so many gorgeous patterns, so little time! I think it should be fairly easy to do a crew neck instead of a cowl one, just a matter of reducing the number of rib rows on the neck and folding over to test where you think looks right. I like the idea of reducing the pattern too.

minnipins48

Postby minnipins48 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:18 am

Hi,
Here is the finished jumper , Winter Doldrums, took me a while to do it.
Photo0049.jpg
Photo0049.jpg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

I did not do all the fair isle yoke, happy enough with it. different doing all in one with the
sleeves.

The project I am on now is GARTER SQUISH by Stephen West, a blanket to use up all
your wool stash . coming along nicely although it took me a while to do the I-cord edge.
got it on Ravelry.

will put pic on when I get up a bit with it.
I have been looking for a knit a long on Ravelry and here but cant seem to find it or how
to join it, any ideas im stupid. :roll:
take care everybody
minnie x

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Beautiful sweater Minnie,
We haven't got any knitalongs going on here right now, it's not something that tends to happen on phoenix. I think there aren't enough of us to build up a significant number of knitters in one style. But if you want to start a project you can always ask if anyone else wants to join you and it doesn't matter if it's just you doing the knitting if you want to post progress photos for fun or advice then I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:03 pm

That is lovely :hug:

Return to “Colourwork”