Knitting a striped jumper

Fair isle, intarsia and anything else that features two or more colours.
SarahJaynesmum

Knitting a striped jumper

Postby SarahJaynesmum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm

I thought I would use up all my dk oddments of wool and knit a striped raglan child's jumper. Good idea! Not. :unsure: Each colour is worked in ten rows at a time and after looking at various ways of joining in the new colour I've decided to weave as I go, however this is giving me such a headache :curse: I've looked at several videos to see how it should be done, but for the life of me I just can't get my head around it so I've been joining in my new ball of wool in a similar way that you would when doing fairisle, stranding it across the back and wraping the yarn around the new colour when I do a knit stitch if that makes sense, it seems to work ok, but I'm concerned it may come undone in the wash.
Also, when it comes to seaming it up, I was hoping to do this in the one colour using mattress stitch and hope it won't show though. Thoughts anyone? :knit:

darknit

Re: Knitting a striped jumper

Postby darknit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:05 pm

You are brave to strand your wool - I think I would cut it and sew in the ends when each piece is finished. But I think stranding will be fine as long as you have good tension. It shouldn't come undone and each subsequent wash will firm up the stitches and keep the wool in place. Choose the wool which is the most neutral or most used to sew it up.

SarahJaynesmum

Re: Knitting a striped jumper

Postby SarahJaynesmum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Many thanks darknit :cheers: I'm going to have another go at trying to weave it in as I go. I can't bear the thought of sewing in all those ends!

Return to “Colourwork”