How to make a skein?

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Jow

How to make a skein?

Postby Jow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

I want to dye some wool I have. I have 8 balls of 1 oz each. I'm going to do one to start with as I've never done it. I know I need to rewind it into a skein to make it all accessible to the dye pot, but how exactly? I've seen it done on the back of a chair but I don't have any chairs like that. How wide should the winding place be? How will it not get tangled when dying?!
jowgoat on Rav

Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to make a skein?

Postby Blackdog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

What you really need is a niddy noddy, makes the whole process much easier. You can make your own if this is a one off thing & you won't be needing to use it again, 3 pieces of wood nailed together works.

You can also wind it round your arm, so bend your elbow & hold your lower arm up straight then hold the end of the yarn between thumb & forefinger, round your elbow & continue winding between thumb & forefinger & elbow. It is quite tiring but you do get skeins that way. Or if you're physically able sit on the floor with your knees drawn up & held a bit apart & wind round your knees
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Jow

Re: How to make a skein?

Postby Jow » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 am

Ah so that's what a niddy noddy is! I wouldn't mind one but a quick look didn't find any reasonably priced ones. I don't know why I didn't think of my arm! The balls are only 28 g so it wouldn't be too much effort that way.
jowgoat on Rav

Return to “Dyeing”