Kool Aid success

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kool Aid success

Postby Blackdog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 am

I used white vinegar so that it doesn't make any difference to the colour. All I did was soak the yarn in a bowl of cold water with white vinegar, just enough to cover the yarn, & leave until is was thoroughly soaked through - about 20 minutes, then into the dye solution. I have heard that people use those roasting bags in the oven, but don't know how well they work as I've never tried it.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Woolygreyhound

Postby Woolygreyhound » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Blackdog wrote:I used white vinegar so that it doesn't make any difference to the colour. All I did was soak the yarn in a bowl of cold water with white vinegar, just enough to cover the yarn, & leave until is was thoroughly soaked through - about 20 minutes, then into the dye solution. I have heard that people use those roasting bags in the oven, but don't know how well they work as I've never tried it.

What a brilliant idea - I think I will try that. I use white vinegar too, just the cheap one you would use for cleaning.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Roasting bags, that's brilliant indeed!

They're in the same aisle as the vinager in the local supermarket, maybe the owner is a dyer, too!

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 pm

have just spent too long checking out where i can buy kool aid from in the UK seems it's readily availible online, averaging 65p a packet plus postage but you can bulk buy.

does it take on acrylic mixes or does the yarnneed to be 100% wool and i assume from your experiences boiling i the wool wasn't a problem.
mmmm i want to have a go........
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:16 am

I found several webshops selling it too - it's unbeliavably cheap!

Jow

Postby Jow » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah I've got all mine on ebay, generally 4-5 packets for £3. There's also this site, as recommended on another thread I began on dying, which works out cheaper if you want to buy quite a few (in UK anyway).

I think if you do boil the wool you might have a problem, but probably even then only if you agitate too much. I've been using a cooking thermometer and getting the temp up to about 95 degC, then taking off heat, by which time all the dye is sucked up anyway.

I've done this quite a few times now and have got it from standing over it watching it every second, to bunging it in and doing other things for a bit while it gets hot. I love how its so quick and easy. I can do a small amount on tea breaks from working!

Woolygreyhound wrote:CC - as long as the yarn stays moist so cover with foil or a lid, the oven will be fine. Kool aid is full if citric acid which is why the dye takes so well, so if using food colouring add either citric acid (which you will get in Asian supermarket) or vinegar (some people do not get on well with fumes from vinegar - I think it is bad for Asthma - and it stinks out the house!) About 25g per 100g or good slug of vinegar.

Can you use normal food colour like you get in UK shops?

I've read on dying groups that Wiltons Icing Dye Gel is meant to be really good, I think its quite concentrated so you can get a lot out of it, and although I've seen it on some UK websites, I don't know if you ever get it just in shops here.
jowgoat on Rav

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm a bit wary of the boiling bit, too, might have to get a thermometer then!

Thanks for all the excellent tips: I'm currently frogging two huge cardigans from a charity shop, real wool, natural shade, so a bit boring. Might get three pullovers out of it, the cardies are that big - think seventies/eighties oversized.

Jow

Postby Jow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 am

Wow what a great find :D
jowgoat on Rav

Woolygreyhound

Postby Woolygreyhound » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:35 pm

On the boiling issue - I use a saucepan and just heat slowly until simmering, I did once forget some superwash sock yarn and boiled on full for about 10 minutes and it came to no harm. You can use somethink like Unisol MFD;

UNISOL MFD LIQUID IN THE DYEBATH ENABLES THE DYEBATH TEMPERATURE TO BE LOWERED WITHOUT LOSING COLOUR YEILD INSTEAD OF DYEING WOOL AT 95 - 100°C ITS POSSIBLE TO DYE AT 85°C IN THE PRESENCE OF UNISOL MFD.

You can get it in ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unisol-minimu ... 0211945644

I haven't tried it myself but could be worth a go especially if using precious wool.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

Return to “Dyeing”