Which dye?

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
WinnieWotNot

Which dye?

Postby WinnieWotNot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I would like to change the colour of two possible three cardigans I have got. ;)
Which is the best dye to use to do this? :?
AND
How do I do this without ruining them! :oops:

If this is in the wrong place for posting please feel free to move it, with my appologises

phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which dye?

Postby phantomknitter » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:44 pm

I moved this to dyeing so people find it in the right section.

Dyeing is a broad subject but we have some people here who are really quite knowledgeable. You could also broaden your horizons to include ravelry groups. I have used Dylon dyes on cotton successfully, both the smaller sachets and machine wash size, but on wool it doesn't work. Kool Aid is popular among people who like colourful things, and even has its own ravelry group called What a Kool way to dye. Dyeing acrylic requires industrial-type chemical so that is normally ruled out in these type of conversations.

If you want to tell us the specifics of what fibres you will be dealing with, I'm sure someone here can either give more details or point you to a website with instructions - I know they exist also.

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I've had excellent results with dyeing clothes with Dylon in the washing machine, but that was all cotton. I know that particular dye won't work on wool or other animal fibres.

WinnieWotNot

Postby WinnieWotNot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Thank you for putting it where it is need to be. :P I was unsure :oops:

I have never dyed anything but I will give it a go.
Thank you :D

Alison h

Postby Alison h » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:04 am

ContinentalCat wrote:I've had excellent results with dyeing clothes with Dylon in the washing machine, but that was all cotton. I know that particular dye won't work on wool or other animal fibres.

I can confirm Dylon works brilliantly on cotton in the washing machine. Once done as per instructions, the colour lasts practically for ever. However, even if you clean you washing machine as per instructions, some dye will linger, so best make you next washing load black or dark colours, which won't show any residue.
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up

Return to “Dyeing”