'Dye lots'...?

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Jow

'Dye lots'...?

Postby Jow » Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm

So, I've dyed myself a quite a few balls and they are slightly varigated, which is what I wanted, but also, despite the same process on each, there is a little variation from ball to ball. I'm wondering if when I change to a new ball I'll end up with a noticeable change in colour? Its on a shawl which may help. Its hard to say, I realise, but I wondered if anyone had had a similar problem with home-dyed stuff?
I could use half a ball then half of another and mix them all up, but there are already a few knots in the skeins I'll have to deal with and I don't want to end up with a million ends if I'm rejoining all the time!
jowgoat on Rav

Helenhfj
Supporter

Re: 'Dye lots'...?

Postby Helenhfj » Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

With the commercial hand-dyed yarns, eg Malabrigo or Manos del Uruguay, they recommend that you use 2 balls at a time and work 2 rows with one, then 2 with the 2nd and so on. It's fiddly, but it should mean that any colour variation blends together, rather than stands out.
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Jow

Postby Jow » Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 pm

I definitely won't do 2 rows of one then another, its a good plan but I know I just won't be bothered, plus the tangles....but I might swap out every 3rd of a ball or something. What a pain!
jowgoat on Rav

Woolygreyhound

Postby Woolygreyhound » Wed May 23, 2012 7:12 am

Hi Jow

I dye my own and when knitting a shawl I try and change the ball at the end of a pattern repeat and have been pleased with the results.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

Return to “Dyeing”