Kool aid advice

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Flowerfairy

Kool aid advice

Postby Flowerfairy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 pm

So this is about dyeing ... but not about dyeing wool!

My Aga engineer makes fish bait and we were talking (as you do) whilst he serviced the Aga about dyeing fish 'boilies'. He said he needs to use natural products but also needs to find something that doesn't lose its colour in water. I suggested Kool aid without really knowing if it's any good for that sort of thing and then thought that someone on here might do.

What he does is make a 'cake' out of his fish bait mix, colours it and then boils it (hence 'boilies') and that's the point where he lose the colour. Does anyone know if Kool aid would act as a stain without needing a chemical fixative?

Any help much appreciated - after all, it's always good to keep in with your Aga engineer! :lol:
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kool aid advice

Postby ContinentalCat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 pm

From what I've understood, Kool-Aid doesn't need a fixative because there is a lot of citric acid in it already. So you don't have to soak in vinegar or any other acid.

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Thinking back to the good old days when we used to dye pace eggs at Easter, they would be wrapped in onion skins which turned them deep golden brown I think beetroot an be used as well.

You also try asking amanda over on NDS.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Des-Ross

Postby Des-Ross » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Flowerfairy wrote:So this is about dyeing ... but not about dyeing wool!

My Aga engineer makes fish bait and we were talking (as you do) whilst he serviced the Aga about dyeing fish 'boilies'. He said he needs to use natural products but also needs to find something that doesn't lose its colour in water. I suggested Kool aid without really knowing if it's any good for that sort of thing and then thought that someone on here might do.

What he does is make a 'cake' out of his fish bait mix, colours it and then boils it (hence 'boilies') and that's the point where he lose the colour. Does anyone know if Kool aid would act as a stain without needing a chemical fixative?

Any help much appreciated - after all, it's always good to keep in with your Aga engineer! :lol:

I dyed 20% wool, 80% acrylic with Koolaid and didn't add vinegar. It's kept its colour. I have heard it will fade with time especially exposed to the sun. I prefer using Wilton's dyes and add vinegar to that.

Flowerfairy

Postby Flowerfairy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Brilliant, thanks for all your advice, I'll pass it on!
I blog at http://www.winwickmum.co.uk and have created the Sockalong, a series of tutorials to teach beginners how to knit socks

Return to “Dyeing”