My first go at Kool Aid dyeing

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Ozzy Blackbeard
Supporter

My first go at Kool Aid dyeing

Postby Ozzy Blackbeard » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 pm

I got this a few weeks ago, and gave it whirl tonight. Here are the results:

It wasn't as scarey as I thought it would be, but was more messy. I defy anybody to do this and not get dye all over their hands. I managed to do just that when I was pouring the powder into a bottle! Whoever drinks this stuff must have multicoloured mouths! :o

There are two skeins; I used one packet of strawberry and half a packet of lemon/lime on each. I realised now I used too much water though. And also had the worst cling film known to man. It didn't stick to itself too well. Serves me right for buying cheapy stuff! The green in the bottom one is a bit mucky, I'm blaming that on the cling film. Overall, for a first attempt, I'm pretty pleased with it. :smile:

I'm going to knit this into the bag pattern that was in the kit. It then has to be felted, which I also haven't done before! I chose these colours because I thought they'd stand out well after felting. I'll post some photos when it's done.

Lynne :D
Last edited by Ozzy Blackbeard on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkshoes
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My first go at Kool Aid dyeing

Postby pinkshoes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Looks great Lynne. I really admire you guys for having a go. I must admit Zyle wanted to try last time she was here, but I managed to persuade her otherwise ... like telling her to wait till she went home when she could muck up her own stuff :mrgreen: I really am such a stick in the mud - maybe we'll have a go next time she comes. Remember to keep posting photos - before and after felting!
I have heard of housework, but I definitely don't like the sound of it
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/midhow
http://pinkshoesknits.wordpress.com/

Christine

Postby Christine » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:20 am

Well done Lynne :) I learned the hard way (after I turned up to collect DD1 from school with purple fingers) that Marigolds - other brands are also available :wink: - or disposable gloves that can be bought in chemists and large supermarkets are handy when dyeing yarn!

DD1 and I have used Kool Aid and also Supercook food colouring* (the stuff that comes in a bottle) for dyeing yarn and have had good fun doing it. Pinkshoes, you and Zyle should give it a go - put a black bin-bag or two down on the worktop before you start and you won't get too much spillagey mess :D

*Add plenty of white vinegar
Me on Ravelry
My Blog
2012 Yarn: Used 13460m : Bought 10007m : Nett 3453m

Purplegem
Supporter

Postby Purplegem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 am

That's looking really good Lynne :smile: I'm looking forward to seeing the bag you are going to make with this.

KnitterKMS

Postby KnitterKMS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Ooh well done, Lynne :) Don't worry about the bottom green being a bit mucky it will knit up great. When I did my first KoolAid dyeing I was disappointed with the results, but surprisingly it's knitted up okay. The very first skein I dyed, I knitted into these socks.

Incidently, I have to tape my 17 year old daughter's mouth shut whenever I dye with KoolAid; she loves the stuff. Unfortunately she's usually bouncing off the walls whenever she sneaks a sachet from my stash - horrible stuff it is - for dyeing only!

dippydappyblonde

Postby dippydappyblonde » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Love the colours! Well done you!!!

Kirsty
---XXX---

haloona

Postby haloona » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 am

:D Those skeins look good - I like the strong colours and a bag sounds like an ideal project. I tried KoolAid years ago when we met some US marines on a beach in Egypt. Yuuuuuuuuuuuukkk!! Mind you, I think they'd doctored it with vodka :lol:
If I'm reincarnated, I want to come back as an octopus :-)

http://stitchbewitch.co.uk

Return to “Dyeing”