Dip-dyeing with Kool-Aid

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
Ozzy Blackbeard
Supporter

Dip-dyeing with Kool-Aid

Postby Ozzy Blackbeard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 pm

After my successful attempt at Kool-Aid dyeing, I have well and truely caught the dyeing bug! :lol: I ordered some Grape Kool-Aid on ebay, and it arrived today. Naturally I want to start dyeing right NOW, but I need some advice.

I want to dye five 25g balls. I came across this on Knitty http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATdyeyourown.html, and really like the look of the dip-dye effect. But when I read the article, it was done with another dye that is heated during the dyeing process to fix the colour.

My question is, would it be possible to do this with Kool-Aid using cold water, and then microwave it to fix the colour? Has anybody done this before? Will I end up with a big purple mess!? :?

Thank you in anticipation,

Lynne :smile:

Ozzy Blackbeard
Supporter

Re: Dip-dyeing with Kool-Aid

Postby Ozzy Blackbeard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I've just thought of another question. If dip-dyeing in cold water would work, would it be possible to dye all 5 balls at the same time (if the container was big enough), so the colours would be the same on each ball. Or am I straying into the "Calm down and stop sniffing the Kool-Aid and wool" terratory!? :lol:

Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dip-dyeing with Kool-Aid

Postby Blackdog » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I am by no means an expert, but when I've used KoolAid I've found that the dye has been taken up very quickly by the yarn, so you'd probably have to do as the writer did & keep mixing up & adding to the pot?
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Return to “Dyeing”