Dylon didn't work on Noro

Can you turn yarn from one colour to another or do you want to learn how? Post here.
phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dylon didn't work on Noro

Postby phantomknitter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:34 pm

I made a lace shawl in a combination of Noro (pure wool can't remember which) and some other pure wools I have. I decided the Noro was too garish and wanted to give it a brown 'overcoat' with a Dylon sachet but it didn't take. AT ALL! All I have to show for my efforts is a brown hand and a shawl that will soon look felted. :evil:

I made it for DS's teacher so there are two ways to look at this: I can give it to her and not care whether she likes the bold use of colour or not, or frog the lot and leave it until another day. I won't have time to make another gift though.

Oh BTW haven't got photos so will have to wait for daylight tomorrow if some of you want to give an opinion...
BLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEFANTOMKNITTERBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUEBLUE

Purplegem
Supporter

Re: Dylon didn't work on Noro

Postby Purplegem » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Shame about the dylon :( maybe the teacher might like those colours?
Wouldn't mind seeing a pic,

Luv
Beaky
x ;)

phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phantomknitter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering: I've just finished re-knitting the centre for this (that's the part I wanted to dye and doesn't 'go') and am about to graft it to the edge portion. I had to come here for a breather because grafting all those yarnovers and k2togs, slipped stitches and whatnots is quite a terrifying prospect, but the way I look at it if it doesn't work I'll just keep knitting instead, and consider it a 'transfer' from the unsuccessful one to a new, fresh one. Grabbing my lifelines now and ready to remove the old centre. *deep breath*...

phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phantomknitter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 pm

:( It really wasn't possible to reasonably do it to a standard I would be happy to gift to anyone, so I frogged it last night (the edging that is) and have now started to knit all that yarn again, so by the time I finish I will have knit this shawl twice over. :roll: It's good that I like the pattern. I am not so sure I will by the time it's finished, though... :lol:

I must come clean and say that this was a classic example of starting off in haste with the first yarn I could think of in my stash, assuming it would all be good, when just 30 seconds of actual LOOKING at the stash would have reminded me of the wools I had and work so much better. Err in haste, repent at leisure... :oops:

Vikki

Postby Vikki » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Never used Dylon but did you use citric acid on the yarn first? That would make the colour set, and you can add salt too. Though Dylon might be one where you're not supposed to need citric acid - I'm not sure. What a total pain about the whole thing :(

phantomknitter
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phantomknitter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for your input. I didn't use acid - I thought it would be fine to just follow instructions on the sachet which says salt. I must try that in the future in some other project (before knitting it! :shock: ) and see what happens. I dyed cotton with just the salt before and it worked brilliantly. It just shows that you never can predict... I re-used the Noro afterwards for another scarf so it's all good - the only waste was a sachet of dye and some knitting time. And I liked the pattern enough to knit yet another, this time for me. I blocked it yesterday but haven't had time or weather for decent pics.

Return to “Dyeing”