*gulps*

Drop spindle or wheel spinning? Show off your talent here.
kharma2815

*gulps*

Postby kharma2815 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:08 am

Yesterday was my birthday and my friends clubbed together and bought me half a Black Jacob fleece and the things that you use to card it with (I also got a book of crochet blanket/throw patterns and some jewelery. They also ordered me a drop spindle but it didn't arrive in time)

Now, while I'm completely overwhelmed that my friends would do this for me, I'm also terrified. I have always wanted to try spinning but I have no idea where to start! Can anyone suggest a good tutorial or something that will at least give me an idea of the basics?

Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: *gulps*

Postby Blackdog » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 am

There are loads of tutors on You Tube, just put in 'spindle spinning' & lots will come up.

I would suggest that before you attempt to start doing anything with the raw fleece that you try spinning with something that's already prepared. Lots of places sell stuff that's not too expensive. Try something like Corriedale or Flakland from World of Wool or from Wingham's. They are very forgiving fibres & you can start trying them without having a lot of prep beforehand.

I don't know whereabouts you live but it might be worth seeing if you can find a Guild near enough for you to go to. There's nothing quite like being with other spinners to get lots of hints & tips on how to do things. Different people do things in different ways & very often it's by watching what they do IRL that things click. Or if you are anywhere near us come along to the meet up on 26th September, we have one lady who spins nearly all the time on spindles now & she's only too happy to give others help to get started or improve their spinning.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

sezo
Supporter

Postby sezo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:31 am

what fantastic friends!
Like Blackdog says, YouTube is your friend (like all things knitty and spiny lol). Just take it one step at a time, get a cup of tea and watch how people do it on the clips for now! Until you get your spindle and perhaps some Corriedale.

And remember, its a skill that you will feel all fingers and thumbs at for a while, like the first time your learnt knitting or driving a car. Just one step at a time and be patient with yourself

And happy birthday
x

kharma2815

Postby kharma2815 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've spent the last few days compulsively watching YT vids and have just ordered the "Spin It" starter kit from HandSpinner.co.uk.

Can't wait to start!

Return to “Spinning”