Newbie with Yarn Woes

General questions about meterage and types
londoner51

Newbie with Yarn Woes

Postby londoner51 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Hi everyone!

I thought I would get into knitting by knitting a scarf for my partner for Christmas using his favourite colours.

I am using chunky Bergere, 60% merino 40% alpaca yarn on 6.5mm (US 10) needles. When I was casting on the the yarn just pulled part in my hands when I was tightening the stitches. I was able to cast on by being very, very gentle. Then knitting my first stitches the same thing happened!

Bearing in mind I am a newbie and it may be that my technique is off... Have I chosen the wrong yarn for this project or my skill level? If so, what should I be using? :help: :help: Thanks!!

darknit

Re: Newbie with Yarn Woes

Postby darknit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

Hi there Londoner and welcome

I just checked and that kind of wool is called roving. It is actually usually used for felting - it's the processed wool before it is spun into proper knitted wool. You can use it for ordinary knitting but as you have found, it is very fragile. You will have adjust your knitting and not pull to tighten it all. You will have a lovely open knit which is incredibly soft to feel.

londoner51

Re: Newbie with Yarn Woes

Postby londoner51 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Ah! Schoolboy error... thanks for picking it up.

I think a loose knit with such delicate yarn is beyond my current capabilities - I'll exchange it for something hardier.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Return to “Yarn Queries”