Sublime lace for 4 ply

General questions about meterage and types
Deakin1815

Sublime lace for 4 ply

Postby Deakin1815 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Because of the problem I have with my hands I haven't been able to knit 4 ply for some time, but becoming a grandmother for the first time, I've been practising and slowly knitting one or two tiny garments. At the moment I'm starting a white baby cardigan and would like to insert a little elephant motive in it and rather than buy a whole ball of 4 ply in a pale grey, I was wondering if I could use my Sublime Lace extra fine merino. It's very thin and in the past I've used lace doubled instead of 4 ply and was wondering if I could use this but, as I say it does seem very thin. According to Rav its 2ply? The question mark makes me think it may only be 1ply.

I suppose all I can do is try and see what happens, but was wondering if anyone had any experience of this wool?

And in case you're wondering why I've got lace wool, which is gorgeous by the way, but I'd never have bought it in a million years. However, a friend bought it to knit herself a scarf and couldn't get the hang of it being so fine so gave it to me for my hexipuffs, which have now gone on hold for a few years.

Joy

Re: Sublime lace for 4 ply

Postby Joy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 am

I'm wondering out loud now as I haven't tried this myself, but spinners gauge the thickness of their yarn by looking at the WPI -wraps per inch. Take a ruler with inch markings and wrap your 4ply around the ruler 1 thickness so you have all the strands snuggly next to each other count how many wraps it takes to cover an inch.
Now you can do the same with your fine yarn to determine if it needs to be doubled or trebled to equate to a 4ply.

here's the rav chart that shows you what to expect. But as you are already using your 4ply, you personally are looking for your yarns to match each other don't worry about them agreeing with the chart.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks Joy, that's brilliant, I'll try later and let you know

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:30 pm

I found that very interesting, I'm always learning something new. Ravs Wpi for the 4 ply was 14, mine for snuggly was 17 and my Sublime lace was 34 so I only need to double it. Thanks for the help

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Glad it worked x
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Return to “Yarn Queries”