Knots/Joins - Normal? Cheap Yarn? or something else?

Has a yarn been sent to the naughty corner? Tell us why.
SamF81

Knots/Joins - Normal? Cheap Yarn? or something else?

Postby SamF81 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Is it normal to get knots/joins in yarn or do I need to buy from somewhere else? :?:

I've had knots in the Stylecraft Stars DK (which I used for the cardigan I posted in gallery) and now I've got the same problem with the Sirdar Crofter DK (had 2 knots so far in 1st ball) I'm using to knit a jumper. Both were bought from same online shop Deramores but that seems to get good reviews, so I'm wondering if it's normal to get knots? Or if it's just cheap yarn? Or if they sell seconds (which I can't see it being).

My only other experience is of Woolwarehouse, I bought some lion brand wool ease yarn and didn't get a single knot in the 5 balls I used.

Helen
Supporter

Re: Knots/Joins - Normal? Cheap Yarn? or something else?

Postby Helen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 am

Mmm I would be interested to hear everyone's replies too. I also have had knots randomly in yarns and it is SO annoying especially when knitting on circulars as I have got used to not have to finish off loose ends. I do tend to buy yarn when on sale though so thought it was because of that. However my recent baby wool wasn't the cheapest and it had a knot in. :evil:

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:06 am

I've had knots in Sublime yarn in the past but I've often gone through a 400g ball of Heyfield bonus without a single knot. I suppose you've got to take a chance on all yarns, but it is annoying when you're knitting in the round, I can always see the join whatever way I do it.

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am

Sometimes I think when a yarn is on special offer it's really balls of 'seconds' so will have knots in it.

I don't very often find knots in the yarn I buy I think in all the yarn I've bought I've only ever found 2 balls that had one knot each in them.

If you find you are getting lots of knots I would suggest taking it back to the supplier a refund so they in turn can return it to the maker.

I know a few years ago my mother bought straight from a yarn mill and had problems so she wrote to them and they refunded her and to also gave her free new yarn on top.

christina-1

Postby christina-1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 am

I have found lots of knots in Stylecraft Bonus Aran and in one of the giant balls, after a tangled mess of a knot, it seemed that the wool was missing because the yarn was very rough and the squares it made were not as soft as previous. I should've complained about it, but let it go over my head. I haven't found knots in any other wool, yet :lol:

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 am

The only yarn I'm aware of that claims to be knot free is Wollmeise pure and their sock yarn. They state that a single knot is acceptable in their DK although I've not found one yet, not sure about their newer sportweight yarn. Their taste of wollmeise is excluded that guarantee - I think its dyed/skeined off site.

Lots of things get written about how many knots are allowed in a ball of yarn but I don't think there is a legal limit, you do of course have the legal recourse that a yarn that is full of knots isn't fit for purpose and should be replaced by the vendor.

Return to “Yarn Rants”