Baby Blanket wool advice please

Are you searching for that perfect yarn? Let us help
gillybean

Baby Blanket wool advice please

Postby gillybean » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:48 am

Yet another query from me!

Rather daunted by all the different wools. I'm going to attempt to knit my cousin a baby blanket (16 weeks left of her pregnancy) as my 2nd project and I want a really nice soft, flexible wool in (preferably) a blue/white speckled wool or light blue and blue speckled wool). Pattern is 4mm needles/dk weight baby yarn.

Has anyone knitted with any of these (some that have caught my attention through hours of searching!):
Sirdar snuggly bambo DK,
sirdar baby speckle dk,
rowan baby merino silk dk,
rowan fairytale soft dk,
rico baby so soft dk,
sirdar snuggly babycotton dk

Any tips on what to look for/avoid?

Joy

Re: Baby Blanket wool advice please

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 am

Some things i would consider.
Is the rowan merino silk one hand wash only? Baby's do have a tendency to be sick on the most preciousess of handknits and whilst it might make a beautiful blanket do you know if mum is going to care for it appropriately.
I don't have any experience of the actual yarns you are looking at but I'd certainly be investigating the cotton one.
Acrylic yarns sometimes go a bit hard and lack lustre after a few washes,
I wouldn't go for the cheapest yarn possible because it won't stay nice
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 am

hi gillybean - I've used all the cotton ones you've named and everyone has been lovely to knit with. Cotton is cooler than wool for a baby, but when wet it's quite heavy, so has to be carefully washed so as not to stretch. My daughter has 2 babies and she loves all the cotton garments I've made. Although I haven't used the Baby speckle I've used Sirdar DK many many times, and have had no problems.

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 am

I've used the Rico Baby So Soft and it is *very* soft. Lovely and cushy to wrap baby up in, but maybe not great at holding it's shape over lots of washes. Don't get me wrong, I did wash my blanket before gifting it and it washed well, I just don't know how it would stand up to repeated washing. (Mum has left work now, so I can't ask her.) I wouldn't recommend it for garments (too drapey) but it worked well for the blanket.

Must admit, I tend to go for bog standard acrylic for baby stuff, because I know it washes well. Sirdar Supersoft Aran is great and stands up to a lot of wear and tear ... and aran knits up quicker ... just sayin' ;) Although you may need more of it to make a good size blanket of course.
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

Just thought of another good one; James C Brett Cotton On. It's a 50:50 blend of cotton and acrylic, so still light and hardwearing, but not as hard on the fingers when knitting.
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Parsley

Postby Parsley » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:24 am

Hi, I have used the baby speckle to knit a cardigan It is a blend of cotton and acrylic (50/50 i think?) so is quite soft and not too heavy. Its the same blend as Sirdar Calico i think which i have used lots of times with no problems.
x - Parsley - x

gillybean

Postby gillybean » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Can machine wash the rowan at 30.

I did realise if I got her something that was handwash only she'd probably thank me at first and be cursing me later :D

I did see a couple of other brands mentioned on other baby wool threads. Stylecrafter wondersoft, sidar snuggly etc. A few did mention they'd done several in 100% acrylic and they'd stayed soft after many washes! I think thats whats making it so daunting. I'm trying to find a wool that wont "fluff" too much but that can still be machine washed with no experience/expertise in using different types/brands of wool.
I am picking things up as I go though so hopefully I'll have experience of my own to draw on instead of having to bug you guys for yours :)

I was planning on making it a surprise for her but I think it may even be a better idea to give her a choice.

Helenhfj, I didnt look at the supersoft because it didnt have baby in the title! Silly me (was avoiding non-baby ones as read elsewhere that they arent necessarily safe for babies). Also saw the james brett one but wasnt sure as hadnt seen any reviews on it!

Thanks for the stretching advice sunhat lady, is cotton always cooler? May not be the best idea then as we're in scotland next to the water so we get the sea breeze and our summer lasts about 2 weeks if we're lucky :D

And thanks parsley for your comments on the speckle. Gives me quite a few to choose from now! Thanks again guys! All your help is very much appreciated.

Sunhat lady

Postby Sunhat lady » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 pm

I've done loads of baby things in Sirdar Snuggly. It's lovely and soft and washes beautifully, time and time again

gillybean

Postby gillybean » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks again sunhat lady, really helps to have recommendations from those like yourself :)

Glad I've decided to relearn knitting (well...what little I learned as a child! lol). So many stitches I want to learn too! Just recently learned the rickrack (not sure of spelling or if thats the official name for it). One of our drivers asked about it tonight when she seen my knitting in the office (very good place to work and providing you do your job, they're very easy going about us watching tv/films, reading, knitting etc...makes a much happier working environment as you dont feel like a desk slave! :D ) then showed me the piece she was working on in the car (I'm envious of how good/neat she is!).

Somewhere down the line I plan to knit myself a rickrack scarf from some really nice two toned merino silk/similar.

Sorry, late night babbling through tiredness and excitement! So many lovely wools/patterns to choose from....

gillybean

Postby gillybean » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 am

I've been busy with things but wanted to let you guys know how the blanket turned out.

Return to “Yarn Search”