Easy care Aran... UK sourced...

Are you searching for that perfect yarn? Let us help
Isolde

Easy care Aran... UK sourced...

Postby Isolde » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey,

So I haven't been around in forever (sorry! I'll be catching up in the next few days and I'll try and post some completed items etc)... however, I'm in need of a little help if anyone has any ideas.

So, I'm making a lovely blanket at the moment, using Womens Institute Soft and Smooth Aran wool. I love the pattern, I love the wool, etc. and once I've finished mine, I've decided I'd like to make one from a friend. However, the friend in question works with horses so I would love to make it from an easier-to-wash wool - I would love this to be a blanket she can use and love, and not have to worry about having to hand wash it etc. (Also, the colour range in the WI Aran isn't the biggest).

So I guess I'm on the call out for an easier care aran wool, supplied in the UK that people like. I don't have any big wool shops locally unfortunately, so buying online looks to be the way forwards... but that means I can't touch things, and I'm hoping for some "this is nice to work with" (or, "this isn't nice to work with"), "this is nice to touch", etc comments to give me an idea of what brands to look out for / avoid. I'll be looking to buy a fair bit of wool for it, so I don't want to end up spending £40+ on wool and then not liking it.

christina-1

Re: Easy care Aran... UK sourced...

Postby christina-1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Hayfields Bonus Aran is machine washable. I've used it for several of my afghans. It is 80% acrylic and 20% wool.

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I agree with Christina - I have knitted with Hayfields Aran and it has a good soft feel and knits up well. It's very reasonably priced too in 400g balls.

scotgirl

Postby scotgirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:54 pm

I agree about Hayfields Aran too!, it does wash well, and comes in lovely colours.
I've also used Woolcraft Aran and the Woolcraft Aran with wool, they both are nice to knit with, have lovely colours and wash well.

darknit

Postby darknit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:45 pm

Also, look at the Drops range of Aran wools - very reasonably priced and I have always found their wool knits beautifully. Most likely you'll have to buy it online though.

Isolde

Postby Isolde » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I've used the Hayfields before, and I like it - but I'm hoping for a larger colour range.

I'll look into both the Drops and Woolcraft wools :)

Return to “Yarn Search”