Unscoured yarn for an Aran jumper

Are you searching for that perfect yarn? Let us help
NigelW

Unscoured yarn for an Aran jumper

Postby NigelW » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:48 am

Can one still buy undyed and unscoured yard? I am thinking of making a traditional Aran jumper from this kind of yarn but have failed to find any.

Having just returned from a trip to County Clare in Ireland where I saw (but unfortunately did not have time to visit) the Aran Islands where the famous jumpers were made, I did some research and understand that the original ones were knitted from undyed, unscoured yarns which still contained natural oils and lanolin, making them much more waterproof - something essential for the fishermen who wore them. As a boy in the 1960s my mother had knitted me one and I still remember the distinctive feel and smell of the untreated yarn.

Joy

Re: Unscoured yarn for an Aran jumper

Postby Joy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 pm

i remember knitting with unwashed yarn for my then boyfriend. It was his prize and joy but im afraid I didn't particularly enjoy making it, sadly I don't share your nostalgic love for unwashed wool. About 10 years ago I was given some Harris yarn and although that had been dyed so it had been washed it did still contain a high proportion of the oils.
I've bought Donegal tweed yarn that again has been washed and dyed but still retained a texture of unwashed yarn. It wouldn't fulfil your need for waterproofness but might be a compromise worth looking into.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

darknit

Re: Unscoured yarn for an Aran jumper

Postby darknit » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Looking on those craft sites like Etsy might be rewarding - think I remember someone selling some on there a few years back but I think you need to look at individuals like small farmers with a few sheep and a passion for spinning to get lucky.

Return to “Yarn Search”