Purl Alpaca: Isis Tailcoat. Stunning but would this be hard?

Just knitted a pattern you are itching to share? Give us your recommendations here.
Billie

Purl Alpaca: Isis Tailcoat. Stunning but would this be hard?

Postby Billie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi All

I just saw this pattern for the most beautiful cardigan: Isis Tailcoat Ohh I'm in love! I'd love to make this but my last experience of making cardigans has really put me off. A kiddie one boggled me and took me 2 years (luckily the lady had a second child ;) ) and one for myself which by the end of it I was sick of the sight of the yarn and it didn't fit and had taken YEARS to complete.

These days I tend to make small projects because of dexterity issues means I can only knit for short periods. Does this look a very technical kind of knit. I've not done much with shaping. So far just legwarmers, mittens, hats, cowls and now the hot-water bottle cover. Its quite an expensive pattern and would be a blind date as buying online, but its so nice, I was hoping if I chose a plain yarn perhaps I'd get on better.

Anyone else struggle with big knits. Does this look like the kind of pattern that would have a lot of things going on on each line. I really get muddled with chopping and changing things along a row. Can I break my cardi fear?
Last edited by Billie on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

Joy

Re: Purl Alpaca: Isis Tailcoat

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

That's a seriously lovely coat.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Billie

Re: Purl Alpaca: Isis Tailcoat

Postby Billie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Isn't it lush, does it look like its really complex to make? I've only made a very simple cropped cardi in the 80s with bat wing sleeves n picking up stitches along the edges and it was a battle of wills n hated it in the end.

Bit worried about trying another cardi after that. Does this look super tricky? I have made a VERY simple pair of socks so have done some short row shaping.
Where will your crafting journey take you?
Billie's Craft Room
Reviews, tutorials and inspiration.

MrsT
Supporter

Re: Purl Alpaca: Isis Tailcoat. Stunning but would this be hard?

Postby MrsT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm

It does look reallllly nice.
It doesn't look too hard..but only you know if you would stick with it!!!
MrsT
Knitting in the sun.

Joy

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Without seeing the pattern it's hard to tell how straightforward it would be to make. There's certainly a lot of shaping involved and It looks like the stitches need to be picked up acros the centre back. So i would say its not for the faint hearted. The trouble is, it might be really well written and clear and fall into place just like that or it could be totally confusing.
joyo on ravelry

Dominey

Postby Dominey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 am

Does look lovely - I fear that it might highlight too many things I'd prefer people not to notice on me! Maybe pm the designer to ask about picking up stitches etc if that's what you're worried about. It does look like that's what you do, and some short row shaping too I think. Not sure about the edging but the bulk of it does look reasonably straight forward and if the edging is tricky you could probably do it all in rib.

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 am

Its a lovely pattern but I'd say its for a more experienced knitter, the back shaping looks quite complicated. It would also be quite expensive to buy all the yarn and it could put you off knitting bigger garments if you didn't finish it.

Why don't you practice on something simpler but keep this in mind for when you're ready to do it

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 am

Faved it, want it. What a gorgeous pattern!

I'm not sure how difficult it would be. There's short row shaping, but I don't think that's extremely hard, and the berry stitch would take time, but is doable. For me, the tricky bit would be picking up stitches, as I find it hard to do that very neatly.

Personally, I think any pattern can be done, provided you take it slowly (so don't try and knit that Shetland bridal lace shawl with overall pattern two weeks before your wedding) and have good tools (don't do fair-isle socks on 2 mm when your needles are blunt and your yarn is splitty). With complicated patterns, I often make my own schematics or write things out in detail, just to keep track of things.

Woolygreyhound

Postby Woolygreyhound » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

It is a truely beautiful item, I have a rule on Rav, if the item has lots of projects and people seem happy with the pattern, then I am happy to pay for it as I figure if others have made it successfully I might be able to. Although this pattern does not have any completed project the designer has lots of other patterns and they have lots of projects so this would pass my test.

In the past when I have brought a pattern and got stuck I have pmed the designer and always got good help.

I have read that a sweater in worsted wool has the same number of stitches as a sock on 2mms - so if you love it I would go for it.
Knit - 16,596m 2012
start of 2013 41,980m in stash

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 pm

I keep coming back to this design cause it is so lovely, but I am not going to queue it because I have too long a queue already. I also went to look at other things by the designer. I was very encouraged by how much she had designed and the complexity of some of the design work meaning it looks well designed rather than something just hurled together. I think she understands fitting a garment from the photos. I did however notice that several comments have been made about it being difficult to get the correct gauge on several projects. Not us if this is because she designs in her local alpaca. It could make the final jacket difficult to get right if you substitute a yarn.
I wish the patterns were a bit cheaper, I don't want to spend £7.50 just to see how easy the pattern is to read, because to me that is what would put me off, not the complexity of the design but how straight forward it is to follow the instructions. If I were serious about making it, I would study the pattern before I bought the wool.
I tend to agree with CC if you want to make something you should go for it. The fact that it might be a challenge shouldn't in itself be off putting.
joyo on ravelry

Return to “Pattern Review”