Travelling Woman reviews

Just knitted a pattern you are itching to share? Give us your recommendations here.
Minxy
Supporter

Travelling Woman reviews

Postby Minxy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:18 pm

I fancy knitting one of these after it was recommended to me by helenhfj who also posted a photo og her rather tremendous one :smile:

Has anyone else knitted it and how do you rate it as a pattern for a lacy beginner-ish? Think it's do-able in a few weeks?

I've had a quick look and I hope it makes more sense after I cast on. I shall therefore refrain from asking really stoopid questions at this point (like why can I see lots of stocking stitch on the FO when I can only see lace instructions? :?)

http://minxymakes.blogspot.com/

Tricotine
Supporter

Re: Travelling Woman reviews

Postby Tricotine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I will be interested in answers, too ( It is in my ever-growing to do list), Minxy. It is a lovely little shawl :smile:

Vonnie

Postby Vonnie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 pm

I was only looking at this pattern yesterday, so I will be interested in the answers to the questions too.
Could this be a Knitalong in the making?
VONNIE

Blackdog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Blackdog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Funny you should say that as I'm intending to make one, a friend from Guild has just made one & I really fell in love with it, so I've got some merino I'm spinning for one at the moment. I'd be happy to join a KAL but I've got a dressed Meerkat to make first which is going to take me a while plus I've got a banner to repair in the next couple of weeks, so lots of fiddly sewing to do, but I'd be up for it in a couple of weeks time if people want to wait that long.

Minxy your question about the stocking stitch isn't stupid, Just looking quickly at the pattern, I think the idea is that you can make it to whatever size you want & have as much stocking stitch or lace as you want to, the original pattern is written with a small scarf type shawl & you can then follow the instructions on how to make it bigger with more stocking st or lace repeats.
Angela
Well behaved women never make history
My blog

Minxy
Supporter

Postby Minxy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

A KAL would be a great idea! I have to start mine pretty sharpish though.
http://minxymakes.blogspot.com/

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

The stocking stitch portion comes from the first section of the instructions; there are 4 set up rows and you repeat the last 2 rows 23 times, which gives you the stocking stitch portion.

Incidentally, if you find the inital picking up bit hard (to get the first 9 sts), I just cast on 5 sts, knit 2 rows, then (inc either end in next row, knit 1 row) x 2 which gives you your 9 sts and 6 rows. Carry on as per the pattern.

I could be tempted to knit another in a heavier weight yarn, so I may well join in a KAL :smile:
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

Vonnie

Postby Vonnie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Helen thank you so much for the tip on the inititial picking up.
I read that bit of the pattern and it nearly put me off straight away. :roll:
VONNIE

studentka

Postby studentka » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Ooooh, I've just been looking for something scarfy/shawly to make with some Debbie Bliss Pure Silk I have my eye on, and this would be just the thing I think! I wasn't too sure if it would work in DK but I had a snoop in Ravelry and apparently 101 other people have tried it so it can't be too much of a disaster :lol: I would join a KAL for this, though I have to wait until the end of the month before I can afford the yarn!
My Ravelry projects...

mazzam

Postby mazzam » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Well I knit one of these little loves for a swap on Ravelry.
My 6 year old grandaughter watched me putting on my Icarus and said 'Grandma will you knit me one of those fleece things?'
'Would you like something like this?' showing her my unblocked TW. 'Yes I really like that'
Well she helped me block it and we had to take it off the pins before it was quite dry because it was time for her to go home. i then had to quickly knit another for the swap. So yes, I would recommend it and although I suppose I am experienced in lace knitting ( and getting more so!) I think it's pretty straightforward for a beginner.Image

Tricotine
Supporter

Postby Tricotine » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

Mazzam, your TW is beautiful in blue. How lovely for you that your granddaughter really appreciated it!
I think I will knit mine in blue too.

Helenhfj wrote:I just cast on 5 sts, knit 2 rows, then (inc either end in next row, knit 1 row) x 2 which gives you your 9 sts and 6 rows. Carry on as per the pattern.

Helenhfj, this is so helpful, thank you! :smile:

After some "studying on Rav" ( I have to go to work in 1.5h and I need to cook "a coq au vin" but priority first!!!!!)

I will use some 4 ply sock yarn on 4mm needles
As my skein measures 360.0 yards, I will do 3 repeats of chart A before starting chart B.

Return to “Pattern Review”