A very specific beanie hat/knitted cap pattern

Looking for a pattern? Let us help

A very specific beanie hat/knitted cap pattern

Postby AmethystSpaniel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Would anyone be kind enough to help me?

My Mum made a beanie hat for me a few years ago, and because I’m chronically ill and every other hat I’ve ever tried gives me a headache, this is literally the only hat I can wear. Unfortunately, she’s lost the pattern. If I describe the hat, is it possible that anyone might recognise the pattern? Here some key points about it:

1. It’s moss stitch on one side, and rib knit on the other, so the hat is reversible.
2. It’s not slouchy.
3. My Mum knitted it just using ordinary knitting needles, she didn’t use circular needles or crochet it or anything like that.
4. I think the original pattern was a child’s one and my Mum scaled it up a bit.
5. Best of all, it’s tight enough around my head not to slip off, but it doesn’t press into my head at all – not at the base, and not in the body of the hat. I’ve never found another hat that was exactly this right level of tightness.

And here's some photos of it:

Image (rib side)
Image (moss side)

If the details don’t ring a bell to anyone, can anyone suggest a similar one? Has anyone ever made a beanie hat that wasn’t slouchy, but at the same time, didn’t feel at all tight round the head?

Thank you so, so much for reading.

Re: A very specific beanie hat/knitted cap pattern

Postby darknit » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi there

I don't recognise the stitch that your Mum used in that hat but there are a number of ways to achieve what you are looking for.

First of all, look at the range of yarns available which could be soft enough but grippy enough. Then there is a stitch called fisherman's rib which is reversible and soft and stretchy.

Then there is this pattern which might fit the bill: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/librar ... needle-hat

Have you tried searching through Ravelry to see if any of the patterns (there are literally thousands of beanie hat patterns there) might work?

Hope that helps, and please let us know how you get on.

Return to “Pattern Requests”