Confused about a pattern

Having trouble understanding pattern instructions? Post request for help here.
Hay_Wood

Confused about a pattern

Postby Hay_Wood » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi all

I'm a fairly beginner knitter but am loving my new hobby.

I have a pattern for a cardigan that I'm making my nephew but I'm a bit confused by some of the instructions for shaping the neckline on the front left side.

When piece measures 24-26-29 (33-36) cm slip the 7-8-9 (9-9) sts towards mid front on a stitch holder for neck. Cast off to shape the neckline at the beg of every row from mid front: 2 sts 1 time and 1 st 3 times = 8-9-11 (13-16) sts left on shoulder. Cast off when piece measures 28-30-34 (38-42) cm. - http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?i ... rn_content

I've coloured the phrase in teh passage above which is causing me trouble.
First off I'm not entirely sure why I'm being told to put the stitches on a stitch holder - surely they're going to be knit further too so the whole piece reaches the stated length?
Secondly, are they referring to the stitches at the middle of the jumper or those that will make the side seam?

Would it not be possible just to keep all of the stiches on my needle and just decrease by the number of stitches it says at the neckline without the use of a stitch holder?

Please help!!!

Thank you so much :)

darknit

Re: Confused about a pattern

Postby darknit » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi there

Garn Studio patterns are always a bit of a puzzle I guess it's because they are translated from Norwegian!

What they want you to do is put the 7-8-9 9-9 stitches on the right hand side onto a stitch holder. They will be in the middle when the garment is made up and it's not how a pattern in natural English would say it, but that's what they mean. Later in the pattern under "Assembly" you will see that you gather up all those stitch holder stitches and knit the neckline.

Hope that helps

Kate

Hay_Wood

Re: Confused about a pattern

Postby Hay_Wood » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am

Thank you so much!! :)

Return to “Pattern Queries”