Help with shaping armhole please!

Having trouble understanding pattern instructions? Post request for help here.
gemsie

Help with shaping armhole please!

Postby gemsie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi all, I'm new here so hope this is in the right place. I'm trying to make a babies jacket from a pattern in Simply Knitting magazine (January 2015). I have made the back with no problem: however now that I'm as far as the armhole (Right Front) I am having problems understanding. The instructions say with WS facing, cast off 3 sts, patt to end. Then Dec 1 st at armhole edge of next 3 rows. If I do as instructed I end up with indents on both sides. Surely the casting off should be on the armhole edge? I have tried this too, thinking perhaps it was a mis-print, but then I end up with one random stitch on the needle after the cast off stitches. I am well and truly baffled - please help if you can! Thanks in advance :)

darknit

Re: Help with shaping armhole please!

Postby darknit » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Gemsie and welcome

I think what the pattern means is decrease always on the armhole side. So with the wrong side facing you cast off 3. Finish the row. Start the right side facing row and when you reach the end of it knit two together. Knit two together again when you start the next row (wrong side again) and again when you finish the next right side row.

Hope that helps

Return to “Pattern Queries”