Beaten by a triangular shawl...

Having trouble understanding pattern instructions? Post request for help here.
Saltrams

Beaten by a triangular shawl...

Postby Saltrams » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 pm

This is a free pattern by a young designer called Stephen West http://westknits.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/slipped-rib-shawl-recipe.html and its on Ravelry at https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slipped-rib-scarf
Unfortunately I’m not an experienced knitter & I’m having problems...
Starting is fine:
CO 5 sts and do the following 2 set up rows...
Row 1 (WS): K2, yo, P1, yo, K2
Row 2 (RS): K2, yo, K1, yo, K1(this is the center st), yo, K1, yo, K2
Then
Row 3 (WS): K2, purl to last 2 sts, K2
Row 4 (RS): K2, yo, work the RS row of slipped rib stitch until you get get to center stitch, yo, K1, yo, work in the slipped rib stitch again to last 2 sts, yo, K2
Also fine, but now I get confused.
Should the next row (Row 5 of the project) be
(WS): K2, purl to last 2 sts, K2 ? As per row 3, or should it be
(WS): Purl all sts ? As per Row 1 of slipped rib stitch pattern,
And after the correct one of those two, for row 6 of the project & beyond, should it be
(RS): K1, *wyif Sl1, wyib K1* repeat from * to *? Or
(RS): K2, yo, K1, *wyif Sl1, wyib K1* repeat from * to * until you get get to center stitch, yo, K1, yo, K1, *wyif Sl1, wyib K1* repeat from * to * again to last 2 sts, yo, K2?

In other words, which is the correct instruction for row 5 and every subsequent WS row, because the designer’s Row 3 and the Slipped Rib Stitch pattern Row 1 (WS) are not the same; and, when continuing with Row 6 of the project and every subsequent even numbered (RS) row should I include the Row 4 preamble of K2, yo, or should I go straight to K1, *wyif Sl1, wyib K1* repeat from * to * until the centre stitch?

Thank you everyone, this is going to be made with my lovely Caron Cotton Cake in “Garden Oasis”. Wish me luck!

darknit

Re: Beaten by a triangular shawl...

Postby darknit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi there

You should do the first choice next. The "purl all stitches" is just telling you how to do the slip rib stitch. The "Knit 2 Purl to last 2 sts, Knit 2" is specific to your pattern. The Knit 2 at the beginning and end of the row is the border you can see in the photo.

Hope that helps
Kate

Saltrams

Re: Beaten by a triangular shawl...

Postby Saltrams » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you so much :flowers: I've unravelled my starting 5 rows about 8 times now, perhaps a tired evening with a glass of red wasn't the best time to start!
I'm only a beginner but I'm finding that interpreting patterns is more difficult than the knitting techniques themselves.
Thanks again, I'm off to try it right now.

Return to “Pattern Queries”