Leftover yarn holders

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
TonyH

Leftover yarn holders

Postby TonyH » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Now, forgive my ignorance as I don't know the name of what I'm looking for. You know when you get near to the end of a skein, and it all starts to get a bit loose, well I like to wind the remaining yarn into a ball. Problem is that this ball then goes the same way as the skein does. What I need is something to wind the yarn around to keep it all together. At the moment I use a flattened toilet roll tube which kind of works, but there must be something better out there and if there is, what are they called. Any ideas?
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Re: Leftover yarn holders

Postby darknit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:58 pm

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/3855208 ... ref=market

Maybe something like this?

I like to rewind my yarn when starting as I can never seem to get the wool end to come out of the centre of the ball and that is the only way to stop it travelling when you're knitting. I use one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wool-winder. They let you get the inside end every time.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 pm

I did try one of those @darknit, but it's not so good for part skeins. I've seen some online that looks like pieces of plastic, but they were quite expensive for what they were.

darknit

Postby darknit » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Keep checking ebay for s/h ones - they do come up and this type is really good.

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:04 am

Sorry to sort of hijack with another question but I was thinking the same thing about escaping wool.

I use a lot of skeins and used to use a swift (skein holder) and a ball winder. Now I'm reliant upon DH outstretched hands to hold the skein while I wind.

I was wondering if anyone uses a nostepinne to create a centre pull ball and if so how much yarn do you think is the maximum it will take for practicality of using. Do you like using it, do they work etc.
(Lots of you tube tutorials available, but basically a nostepinne is a tapered piece of dowel that allows you to wind a centre pull ball by hand easily.)

I have some yarn cosies from doodle stop that are basically a stretchy net tube that simply holds a ball of wool firmly as you knit from the centre. More appropriate for a yarn cake than a commercial ball.
http://www.doodlestop.co.uk/70-doodlestop-yarn-cosy

But back to one of your original comments Tony, about rewinding that last little bit still misbehaving. It might be worth investigating how you actually start off winding that ball. Some people wind over several fingers then fold that bit in half before continuing, winding too tight/too loose might make a big difference.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 am

That's the method I was taught Joy. Six or seven winds round three fingers. Then slip off, give a half twist (so it looks like a figure 8) fold in half and continue winding, turning the ball slightly every six or seven winds.

Interesting to note though, the "free gift" this month in the magazine I subscribe to is Six Bobbins, which is basically what I've been making with empty toilet paper tubes. And now I know that these 'things' are called, eBay is littered with them :)

darknit

Postby darknit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Loved this idea http://www.instructables.com/id/Yarn-ball-winder/

But I don't think I'll try it!

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”