Is it a ball winder that I am looking for?

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
kristina
Supporter

Is it a ball winder that I am looking for?

Postby kristina » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Ladies this is going to sound like a really stupid question so please bear with me. I always knit with balls of wool but recently have bought a few skeins of lace. I have tried to wind these into balls by putting them around chairs etc but all I have ended up with is a tangled mess and lots of tears lol. Is it a ball winder I need to make this job easier or is it a swift. I apolgise in advance if this sounds like a really stupid question but I really have no idea.

Sindri

Re: Is it a ball winder that I am looking for?

Postby Sindri » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

I get my OH to hold the skein for me or I put it round my feet and wind up from there. One lady I knew had a skein winder that her husband made for her and she gave it to me but I can not find it anymore :(

I'd love to know if there is something that can do skein winding as well because all the ball winders I've seen do centre pull which I don't like.

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

you could manage with a swift, that is the device that you put the skein onto instead of your hands, OH's hands feet back of chair etc. they vary in price here's one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-wooden-treen- ... 1e60875647
i expect it will go up in price a lot as there's 6 days to run.
or this one is £28 http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/ ... oduct.html, you're unlikey to get cheaper than this but it's not as pretty as the wooden ones

sunflower swifts are hand made in the UK cost £37 and are beautiful and very desirable -there is a waiting list for them at present http://sunflowerswifts.blogspot.com/

then having got your swift you can add a ball winder to complete the job £15 plus

personally i use a lot of skeins and wouldn't be without mine but as sindri says she has put hers away and obviously doesn't.

hope that helps
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

manda-r

Postby manda-r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm

you use a swift and ball winder together you unravel the skein place it over the swift then use a ball winder to ball it which you can then use as center pull or not on preferance.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoY9iBentg
Manda
Ravelry*projects
I am a recovering yarnaholic my blog

kristina
Supporter

Postby kristina » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Thank you so much for all your help its much clearer now. Will have to go on the hunt now and buy one thanks also for all the useful links and for answering my post so quickly thats why I love this forum :smile:

Helenhfj
Supporter

Postby Helenhfj » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:17 pm

There is also the Knot a Problem group on Rav, who will cheerfully detangle your messy skein and send it back to you in full working order :smile:
Latest FOs: Oxford Circus Shawl; Simplest Sweater
Me on Rav ... Stashdown count: Used 0, bought 18. Running total = +18

ContinentalCat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ContinentalCat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 am

If you don't want to spend a fortune at once, you can make a fairly cheap swift using the Snudde rotatable plate from Ikea, a cardboard box, four coathangers and a lot of duct tape.

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”