Prym Knitting Mill

Ball winders? Stitch Counters? Strange contraptions that look alien but allow you to knit four times as fast? Tell us about them all here.
wifey502

Prym Knitting Mill

Postby wifey502 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 pm

I've just got one of these from ebay and it is awesome!
Basically, it knits i-cord without all the hassle and about 20 times as fast!
Knit one, purl one, drop one, SWEAR ALOT!!!!

Polly

Re: Prym Knitting Mill

Postby Polly » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I've got one too! I had a fair bit of trouble with mine to start off with - kept dropping stitches an awful lot. I found a tip on the internet - somebody said try cranking the handle anti clockwise instead of clock wise - and I did much better on it after that!

It still drops stitches occasionally but I've worked out how to pick them back up and get them back on to the relevant hook. I've made some gorgeous tube scarves with it - a lot of the time the yarn you use makes the statement for you. I've found eyelash yarns go through it beautifully and aran works really nicely too. Sirdar Snowflake is another one I had some wonderful results with!

Haven't worked out how to do the panels yet so if you have any success, I'd love to know how you go on with that!

wifey502

Postby wifey502 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Mine is the dinky, 4 needle one, just for i-cords. I have done some in red white and blue for the royal wedding!
Knit one, purl one, drop one, SWEAR ALOT!!!!

Polly

Postby Polly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

Oooo I would like one of those! Mine's the big one and I've had so much fun with it! :D

jeanette

Postby jeanette » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Can you do socks on it?

Jeanette

Polly

Postby Polly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I would imagine if you got a smaller one - and there are some - you might be able to do the leg of the socks on them but you'd have to do the ankle and toes on the needles as you can't do anything other than straight tubes. Also, everything goes through at one tension and 'needle size'. When they make one that you can adjust I dare say you could work wonders!

DarkestKnits
Supporter

Postby DarkestKnits » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 am

wifey502 wrote:Mine is the dinky, 4 needle one, just for i-cords. I have done some in red white and blue for the royal wedding!

What a fab idea! :lol:

Christine

Postby Christine » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Polly wrote:I would imagine if you got a smaller one - and there are some - you might be able to do the leg of the socks on them but you'd have to do the ankle and toes on the needles as you can't do anything other than straight tubes. Also, everything goes through at one tension and 'needle size'. When they make one that you can adjust I dare say you could work wonders!

For socks, as long as the fit around was ok, you could do a long tube, then finish off the toes on dpns or a circular and do an after-thought heel, cutting through the stitches so you could pick up live stitches to knit a short-row heel.
Me on Ravelry
My Blog
2012 Yarn: Used 13460m : Bought 10007m : Nett 3453m

Polly

Postby Polly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Just been looking at one on Ebay - I think it might go on my Wish List for my birthday or something! :D

Polly

Postby Polly » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

I found some pics of a couple of things I did on the big knitting mill so I thought I'd post them.

This one is James C Brett Marble Chunky - it works really beautifully! I think this only too 1 ball too!

These are done with the Sirdar Snowflake. The scarves took 5 balls and the hat 2 I think - Aberkhan were having an offer and I did loads of them!

Return to “Knitting Gadgets”