DONT KNOW WHAT TO KNIT

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
mike_loves_knitting

DONT KNOW WHAT TO KNIT

Postby mike_loves_knitting » Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 am

Hey guys, I'm quite knew to all of this forum business
im a father of four and I am having serious trouble deciding what to knit, PLEASE HELP

if u wouldn't mind, could u please send some novice suggestions that I could try,
nothing to hard! :knit: :help:

Thankyou in advance
Mike

TonyH

Re: DONT KNOW WHAT TO KNIT

Postby TonyH » Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

My advice would be to start small. When I first started (years and years ago) I started with baby's mittens and bootees. When I restarted again a couple of years ago, I started with flowers, especially Daffs. Good luck with whatever you do, and remember that the guys on here are always willing to help. :thumbup2:
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Postby darknit » Tue May 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Mike and welcome

Suggestion: Knit a square - aim for 4 inches square. This is a standard test square and will let you know tight or loose you knit, then you can get more adventurous and try a patterned square, aiming for the same size. These squares are very adaptable, you can sew them together to make lap blankets, or three together can make a little bag - all the time you can be experimenting with colour and pattern.

Hope that helps
Kate

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.
I'm also in that quandary that I don't know what to knit next but my dilemma is that I want a technical challenge and a travelling project that I can take to knit and natter. The two don't go together, so I'd better choose two projects.
But back to your question

You didn't say how old your children are but a trendy item right now is the pussycat hat, eg hats with ears. These can be really simple and follow on from dark it's suggestion of knitting squares.
Simplest form, knit two squares sew three sides together then pinch the tips of the top corners and add a sewn stitch to make ears.

A bit better would be to add rib at the bottom.
Ideally you would knit it in the round but that's not essential
Here's a link so you can see what I mean. https://andresueknits.com/2014/10/08/ki ... t-pattern/

I reckon your whole family will want one and you'll be number one dad and will be expected to teach the kids to knit before long.
Of course you can find a pattern that can add all sorts of features. A lot of us use Ravelry as a pattern data base to browse for ideas.
Good luck and have fun with your knitting. If you get stuck, ask. the only silly question is the one you don't ask and struggle with.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Im also stuck for what to knit next, i did find something but it would of worked out dear so back to the drawing board. :help:

Deakin1815

Postby Deakin1815 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:51 am

My knitting group knit for a local charity and we're always getting asked for premature baby clothes, blankets, cardigans and hats, lots of hats. Some of the ladies don't like knitting so small so they stick with bigger hats in all sizes for the poor children and adults in the area and also for homeless people who the charity also supports. Sweetpea, if you don't know of a local charity, your local maternity unit are always grateful for all baby knits up to and including newborn 14"

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat May 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Good advice Deakin, but if you don't fancy that how about a sleeveless top? Doesn't take much wool and quicker to accomplish.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks for that Deakin1815, at the moment of got a project that im going to start soon.

tonya.laning

Postby tonya.laning » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Mike. You won't find many guys on the forums, but we'd be happy to help out. Can you give us a little more idea of what sort of thing you want to knit (i.e. clothing, toys, houshold items, etc.) If the kids are little, this apron pattern http://www.knittingthenaturalway.com/product-page/my-little-chef-s-apron-pdf-1 would be really cool. And it's much easier than it looks.

Knitting Gill

Postby Knitting Gill » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Someone suggested knitting squares. If you made one big enough, you could use it as a kettle holder or for holding anything that's hot, like a mug.

Another idea would be to knit a square in cotton yarn to make a dish/wash cloth. Of course, it would have to bigger than 4 inches square.

Are you wanting to knit specifically for your children?

I hope you'll be able to find a simple pattern that you like. Let us know what you come up with!

Gill

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”