Sewing on a button

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
SarahJaynesmum

Sewing on a button

Postby SarahJaynesmum » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Sorry, not been on here for a while, but now I'm back to knitting again and for years I've just sewn on the buttons for the cardigan band flat. I've got a feeling that this is not the way as although the buttons never come off they are too tight. I've looked on youtube but most of the help is based on buttons for shirts etc. Just wondering what other users do, and should I be attaching the button with the origianal yarn I knitted the cardigan with? :help:

darknit

Re: Sewing on a button

Postby darknit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I do always sew on buttons with the yarn used in the garment. This is just personal choice though so I can't see why you can't use a different type of yarn unless it will wash differently of course. To stop it being too tight I wind the thread/yarn once or sometimes twice round the shank and then through to the back to finish off, so that the button stands a little proud of the button band. Hope this helps.

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

I use the same yarn to sew on buttons unless it's extremely thick then I'd try and find a thinner yarn that matched or use an embroidery silk rather than a regular sewing thread.
And I tend to use a few buttonhole stitches around the Hank to help keep a button proud.
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

SarahJaynesmum

Postby SarahJaynesmum » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for advice. I used the original dk yarn to sew on the button, wound round twice to make a shank, took the needle through to the back, tied a knot then trimmed it off close, it now looks very neat. :thumbup:

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”