In love with a yarn; can't marry it so what can I knit with it?

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Saltrams

In love with a yarn; can't marry it so what can I knit with it?

Postby Saltrams » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello Knittersphere!
I'm new. I have read the Forum rules (yes, really) and my question might encounter publicity &/or copyright issues but I hope not.

I'm currently making a scarf in a lovely yarn (and I don't even know if I'm allowed to name it. A knitting forum must be hard to run if you can't specify what you are using but 'cos I'm new and I don't want to get told off I'll play safe!) It's an Aran weight, 100% cotton. I adore the colour and I want to knit a simple, maybe boxy shape cardigan for the spring/autumn but there seem to be so few patterns for this type of yarn. Its purpose seems to be dishcloths and table mats, which is a real shame because the scarf I'm making is turning out nicely (even though it is for a different yarn) and it would make a lovely cardi but I can hardly find anything even remotely suitable. I've trawled so many Websites & tried to find something that "might" work by using Yarnsub or even just working on the basis that other cotton Arans might work but I can hardly find any. DK is much easier to find.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, such as where to look or knows of a pattern they can give me the name of so I can obtain it myself? Or if someone has a lot of cotton knitting experience could they advise on the sort of pattern I could look for? All of the above without breaking rules 'cos, did I mention I'm new...?

Smiles, Laura

darknit

Re: In love with a yarn; can't marry it so what can I knit with it?

Postby darknit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Laura

I assume you've found Ravelry.com? If not that has to be your first port of call. If you can find a photo of the sort of cardi you are looking for and post either the pic or a link to it I am sure we'll try and find some patterns to suit.

Saltrams

Postby Saltrams » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am

Hello Again Darknit & thanks for your reply.

I do know Ravelry but I find it a bit chaotic and hard to navigate as a beginner - there are a lot of links that don't lead to patterns.

I have found something that is a guide to the sort of thing I'd like. It might do but with my lack of experience I can't tell if it will work. There is so much contradictory advice when it comes to knitting a pattern without the recommended yarn; on one hand there are strict and dire warnings about the tension square and no guarantees that the finished product will work and then on the other hand some patterns just say "any DK/Aran/[insert yarn type]" will work. :unsure:

This is my suggestion:

Now, the stated yarn(s) - Rowan Handknit DK Cotton and Rowan Denim - have been discontinued but Yarnsub.com shows that my favoured yarn (and I'm going to have to name names now, or this becomes too difficult) is a 90% match for Rowan Denim:

RICO DESIGN - Creative Cotton Aran (90% match)
Good news! The texture of this yarn is also plied with a loose twist.
Good news! The fiber content matches exactly.
Good news! The qualities of this yarn are a very close match.
Information The gauge almost matches, but you may need to use smaller needles. Swatch to check gauge.
Information This yarn comes in 50g / 85m balls. For each ball of the original yarn you will need 1.18 balls of this.

What do you think?

In general, this is what I'm looking for, simple because the yarn itself will make the garment busy enough:

This probably isn't as hard as I'm making it!

Saltrams

Postby Saltrams » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Wow, what a lot of ideas, thank you so much. I've narrowed it down to 3 from your suggestions.

The supplier I use is out of stock of the object of my affections :curse: but I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.

Many thanks again :kiss:

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”