Yarn confusion

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
Charliebar84

Yarn confusion

Postby Charliebar84 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi all

First apologies for what may be an absolute stupid question.

I’ve recently started learning to knit. After having to give up work due to illness I’ve decided to start knitting to pass the time and keep boredom at bay.

I’ve seen a hat I’d like to make (my first project) but everything is American.

As stated due to giving up work I don’t have much spare cash to buy really expensive yarns and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers of some nice yarns to make hats/scarves etc that doesn’t cost the earth.

I’ve looked at hobbycraft and I’m so confused about 2ply, 4ply, Aran, chunky etc.

Someone please help and recommend decent yarns that won’t break the bank.

TIA

darknit

Re: Yarn confusion

Postby darknit » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Charliebar and welcome

First of all the pattern will tell you the ply of the wool you should be using. Most likely it's double knit (abbreviated to dk) as it is the most popular yarn ply there is. Have a look at Drops yarns they are lovely quality and mostly very reasonably priced. Deramores sells them as do several other web based wool sellers.

The different plys are (obviously) different thicknesses. A brief guide might be that two ply might be used for lace work, 4 ply for socks and fairisle, double knit is a work horse and can be used for many/most things and Aran is just a little thicker than dk, but sometimes is about the same but has the benefit of showing cables and fancy stitches to their best advantage. Chunky might be used for big stitch jumpers and warm scarves. Hope that helps

Don't be afraid to ask any question - we've all been there and had to learn.

Kate

Charliebar84

Postby Charliebar84 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi Kate

Thank you for your reply. My pattern is from an American site and just said ‘Wool Ease Thick and Quick’ which completely baffled me.

I’ll look up the places you suggested.

Charlie

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 pm

So, if you put wool ease thick and quick into google, it tells you it's super chunky (super bulky in American) that's about the thickest wool you can buy and there are quite a lot of alternatives. King Cole make a good one.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Charliebar84. Dark it is right. Don’t be afraid to ask any question. These people on here are fantastic. Between them, they know everything. I was always told that “a question is not wrong if you don’t know the answer” :thumbup:
:cheers: Tony

Charliebar84

Postby Charliebar84 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you everyone. You all seem so lovely and I look forward to being on these boards.

I’ve ordered the wool and can’t wait to start my first project.

I’ve recently taught myself to knit, so just been playing around with some needles and wool to practice my stitches.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Can i ask what wool you went for in the end?

Charliebar84

Postby Charliebar84 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 pm

sweetpea wrote:Can i ask what wool you went for in the end?

I went for Sirdar Hayfield chunky. It seemed to have quite good reviews and not too expensive as it’s only for me to try out new things (not giving/selling any of my knits)

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”