Cloths for washing dishes - yarn query

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
TonyH

Cloths for washing dishes - yarn query

Postby TonyH » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 pm

What are your thoughts on using acrylic yarn for dishcloths? I mean the type for washing dishes and not a cloth for taking dishes out of the oven. I've seen many patterns and most suggest a cotton yarn. Some people say 'never use acrylic' and some say that it does not matter. Just wondering :?:
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Re: Cloths for washing dishes - yarn query

Postby darknit » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am

I guess that it might have something to do with cleaning the cloth - you can't get acrylic too hot so you couldn't boil it, and using bleach on it would be a no-no too.

Knitting Gill

Postby Knitting Gill » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:31 am

This question was also asked on Knitting Paradise. Here is one answer:

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-154130-1.html

I wouldn't bleach cotton either. Someone I knit a dishcloth for bleached it and it fell apart.

About 30 years ago there was a tv ad for a certain laundry detergent, which went 'The dirt says 'hot' but the label says 'not', but new A gets it clean'.

Les Dawson, a popular comedian at the time had his own version: 'The dirt says hot, the label says not, so I burnt it!'

Gill

darknit

Postby darknit » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 pm

I wouldn't bleach cotton either. Someone I knit a dishcloth for bleached it and it fell apart.

Yes, bleach has that effect - if you use too much. Only a little is required to do the disinfecting job. My Mum swore by the disinfecting powers of the sun and said that cotton placed outside on sunny days saved buying all that nasty stuff.

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello again, just popping in to say hello after a few months absence.
Personally I would only use cotton for dishclothes. For me cotton is more absorbent and also easier to wring out and generally softer to mop up with when wet.
When it comes to bleach, I bleach all my dishclothes regardless of what they are made of, and I throw them out when they get holey. I'd rather not have germs lurking in a damp cloth than worry about preserving the longevity of something that costs so little to buy or make. I really ought to make my own dishclothes because you can play with stitch patterns etc, but there are too many other projects OTN. .
joyo on ravelry
2015 OTN-5 projects FO-12 metres used-lost count

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”