A cast-on tip?

Anything knitting related that doesn't fall into the other categories.
TonyH

A cast-on tip?

Postby TonyH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm

I've just been reminded of a tip I was told many years ago. I've never tried it and wondered if anyone had. It's a long-tail cast on mainly and suggests that the needle you cast the stitches onto should be one size larger than the needles the pattern calls for. For example, if the pattern calls for a size 4mm needle then the initial cast on needle should be a 4.5mm. It is supposed to make for a looser cast on and makes that first row a lot easier to work. Keep meaning to give it a go, but am worried that I will forget to change down to the right size. :rofl:
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Re: A cast-on tip?

Postby darknit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:13 pm

It is a good idea and I have used it. Especially useful when the wool is fine and the needles thin. To remember to change to the next needle, stick the correct size needle through the ball of wool so that it prevents you pulling out more to knit the first row.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:52 pm

You know, you couldn't make this up! Just to confuse me even more, the person that told me the tip, was reading this forum when I posted. They now tell me that they now use a better method. :curse: . Instead of going up a size, they now go down a size and cast on over two needles. They say it gives a more consistent cast-on. :unsure:

darknit

Postby darknit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

:rofl: Whatever suits you best - might try it but I'm happy with the first method.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Well after trying both methods @darknit, I think I’m with you on method 1. The second method was too loose. It was an interesting experiment. :thumbdown:

Return to “Random Knitting Stuff”