Still unable to upload an image. Topic is solved

Something not working right? Need to know how to do something? This is the place!
Forum rules
READ: Forum-Wide Rules.
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a ban.

PLEASE NOTE:
Forum Support & Tutorials is exactly what it says - ask here for help with how the forum works, how to post photos or any other features of the actual site itself.

Please try the FAQ or search this forum first to see if someone else already asked the question and the answer might already be there.

Requests for help with your knitting should be posted in Technique Questions.
mauramac

Still unable to upload an image.

Postby mauramac » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Well I've now tried all the suggestions and still I can't upload a simple image of a chart. I have managed to reduce it but how the heck do I now get it onto a post or PM?

I can't understand this - I am downloading photos and charts frequently to friends on other media so why is it so hard on here?

I see lots of similar questions on here and it is so frustrating. Sorry - it's probably me just being stupid but my frustrations are through the roof :rant:

Any help much appreciated....thank you :help:

sweetpea

Re: Still unable to upload an image.

Postby sweetpea » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 pm

What site are you using for your photos and charts?

mauramac

Postby mauramac » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Tried all previous suggestions and resized image but how do you get it into a post or message please?

darknit

Postby darknit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi Mauramac

Try this: Press "post reply" button. Your box for writing in opens, scroll down a bit and you will see a button which says "Attachments". Press this and it will have another button saying "Add files". Press this and it should invite you to find the photos/whatever on your computer. Can you work it from there? Let me know if not and I will help again. If necessary, you can email the thing you want to post and I will put it up.

Kate

Peter
Tech Support
Tech Support

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:20 pm

You can also stick it in the gallery and then embed it in a post, either works.

It is worth noting that the attachment feature isn't really meant to be used for images and is quite limited in terms of what we allow for the entire forum in total - a couple of high-res images would likely fill up the space for the entire forum. It's much better to embed the images and host them elsewhere, or use the "Gallery" to post your image and then embed it in your post.

gallery
ManaPool - PC Game News, Reviews, Guides and More.

mauramac

Postby mauramac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks guys
Really appreciate your help.
I just couldn't understand why I was having such a problem. I post files, attachments, images all over the place in various forums and groups and never have a problem so it was driving me nuts :curse:

Peter
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Still unable to upload an image.  Topic is solved

Postby Peter » Wed May 02, 2018 7:40 pm

mauramac wrote:Thanks guys
Really appreciate your help.
I just couldn't understand why I was having such a problem. I post files, attachments, images all over the place in various forums and groups and never have a problem so it was driving me nuts :curse:

Always happy to help.

To be honest, the problem here is two-fold;
First - we're running on quite "old" forum software. We originally wanted to upgrade to something a bit more modern but there was quite a bit of resistance from the community at the time as they were used to this platform. Once all set-up it becomes increasingly more work to change and at this point it would be quite an undertaking. (Which given the size/activity these days I am not sure is worth it)

Second - the forum is running entirely on ad revenue now so investing a lot of time / server resources to it becomes a lot more tricky too. I couldn't really justify letting people upload attachments for photos via the attachment system as it would quickly spiral out of control. (And hosting space costs money!)
That's why we created the gallery, we do allow pretty much unlimited storage for anyone who has ever donated to the forum in the past, but honestly that's mostly interesting for those who want to showcase their work within this community. It's otherwise just as easy to host pictures pretty much anywhere :-)

Hope that makes sense. For the record, we don't need donations/revenue - we're absolutely fine. Just explaining the background as to why it's easier in other places. We could make it easier here too, just would require some work and an increase in the cost-base behind the forums.
ManaPool - PC Game News, Reviews, Guides and More.

mauramac

Postby mauramac » Wed May 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Oh I know the situation Peter - it happened on a motorhome forum I was a member of and it caused all sorts of problems. Users often have absolutely no idea what goes on in the background to running a forum like this and how time consuming it can be. There are some lovely people here who I would be lost without and who help me enormously. Life is just so busy I don't get to spend as much time on here as I would like. Thanks for explanation xxx

Return to “Forum Support & Tutorials”