Changing wool

Something not working right? Need to know how to do something? This is the place!
Forum rules
READ: Forum-Wide Rules.
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a ban.

PLEASE NOTE:
Forum Support & Tutorials is exactly what it says - ask here for help with how the forum works, how to post photos or any other features of the actual site itself.

Please try the FAQ or search this forum first to see if someone else already asked the question and the answer might already be there.

Requests for help with your knitting should be posted in Technique Questions.
Sutts17

Changing wool

Postby Sutts17 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi fellow members, I am new to this forum and I need your help. I have a lovely pattern for a cardigan which I have knitted on many occasions. The wool specified is Aran but I want to be able to knit it quicker so wondered what I should do to use say Chunky. The pattern specifies Aran and using 5mm but I use 8mm. I have found the cardigan drapes much better this way. I had hoped that if I used appropriate or even bigger needles with chunky that would be ok but it's the number of stitches I am concerned about. Any ideas would be greatly welcome. I suppose I should just try a test but that would be too easy!!!

darknit

Re: Changing wool

Postby darknit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Hello there and welcome

It is quite possible to translate an aran pattern to chunky, though the results may not be to your liking. You absolutely have to do a test square otherwise you won't be able to calculate the number of stitches to cast on. From there on it's just an arithmetic problem. There are various sites which help you with this (although I have never used any - Hubby does my sums for me :love2: )

Let us know how you get on.

Kate

juliangreen

Re: Changing wool

Postby juliangreen » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:47 am

I don't have any experience with wools yet but I think this one is worth taking a note.

Return to “Forum Support & Tutorials”