Long-tail cast-on

Do you have a burning question that will prevent needles travelling across the room in anger? Post it here.
TonyH

Long-tail cast-on

Postby TonyH » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 pm

For years I used the 'Thumb Method' when I used a long-tail cast on and to this day, I still have a slight groove on the outside of my right thumb. I recently learnt how to do the so-called 'Sling Shot' cast on. It's the only long tail I use now. It is such a fast cast on. The only downside I can see is that it tends to be a little tight, especially with circular needles for some reason. I've now been told that I should cast on with a larger needle (half size larger) then change to the correct size. This apparently makes for an easier first row. May give it a go next time.
:cheers: Tony

darknit

Re: Long-tail cast-on

Postby darknit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm

I am the same Hubyster. My Mum taught me the thumb long tail cast on and until around 5 years ago that was the only one I used. Now I most often use the sling shot one except when there are loads of stitches to cast on when I tend to use the knitted cast on method. That way you don't have the risk of running out of "long tail" when you are more than half way through a huge cast on.

I highly recommend a little book called "Cast on Bind off" by Leslie Ann Bestor. It really expanded my repertoire of cast ons - including two colour ones and highly decorative ones as well as the really useful basic ones. Well photographed sensible instructions.

Return to “Technique Questions”